Links for the unified budget process
Unified Budget Process
The Unified Budget Process (UBP) provides departments a timely view of all available resources and requires a comprehensive program plan including outcome measures, regardless of funding source. A unified budget planning process, responsive to university strategic initiatives, promotes our shared values and encourages collaboration and creativity. This process starts in advance of our external requirements, connects our strategic plan to the UNC Strategic Directions 2013-2018, engages the campus community, and develops specific annual objectives for strategic resource allocation. The five goals highlighted in the UNC Strategic Directions are:
- Goal 1: Setting degree attainment goals responsive to state needs
- Goal 2: Strengthening academic quality
- Goal 3: Serving the people of North Carolina
- Goal 4: Maximizing efficiencies
- Goal 5: Ensuring an accessible and financially stable university
UNC Wilmington campus specific objectives can be found here.
In addition, the Budget Office provides strategic analysis, budgeting, and planning to the university community as part of the Unified Budget Process. As part of the UBP, university objectives and programs are established that strive to achieve university and state goals. The Budget Office works directly with the key stakeholders throughout the campus for each program. This effort includes developing and coordinating the overall process from program start up to final budget recommendations.
The Unified Budget Process consists of four main phases: Strategic Planning, Budgetary Programming, Budget Analysis, and Evaluation & Approval.
- Phase 1 - Strategic Planning: the campus identifies strategic priorities for the biennium budget. Ongoing initiatives are evaluated and analysis to support discussion and quantify the goals is provided by the university analytics team.
- Phase 2 - Budgetary Programming: resources and services are identified by programs or function and not by the organizational units involved in performing all or part of the program and/or function. During Phase 2 the Budget Office will work directly with deans and division directors to identify those programs necessary to meet the strategic priorities.
- Phase 3 - Budget Analysis: the Budget Office and University Budget Committee (UBC) analyze and review the programs identified. Program budgets are finalized and all funding sources available are identified and analyzed for each program.
- Phase 4 - Evaluation & Approval : Senior leadership determines prioritization of programs and funding solutions.