- Amazon Kindle App
- Apple iBook App
- Apple iBook Author
- Barnes & Noble Nook App
- Barnes & Noble Nook Study App
Helpful eContent Information
This page contains general information on the various "eContent" options available for use, as well as links to online resources.
What is "eContent"?
eContent is, generally, any text or media based information that is available in a digitally encoded, human-comprehendible format and presented by electronic means.
What are the different options?
- iBook - This format was created by Apple for specific use on their iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch devices. It provides greater functionality than the standard ePub format but restricts use to iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch devices.
- ePub - This is the most common eText format used when creating electronic publications and is compatible with the majority of e-readers on the market including Amazon's Kindle, Barnes and Noble's Nook and various alternative tablet devices.
How can I create?
There are many options available for you to take advantage of when creating eTexts. The following options are just a few to get you started:
- Apple iBook Author - In order to create iBook files you must utilize the free Apple iBook Author application. There are numerous online resources available for learning this application. ITS has developed an instructor-led workshop covering iBook creation. Be sure to look at the workshop registration page for available dates!
- Adobe Indesign - This application is commonly used when formatting text for use on eReaders. You can utilize this application by purchasing it with UNCW funds (instructions here). Once purchased, you can register to attend a 2-hour workshop provided by ITS on the basics of how to use the program.
Where can I get more help?
The UNCW Bookstore currently offers assistance when creating eTexts designed for the following:
- Nook Press - The Bookstore provides the Nook Press service through Barnes and Noble to assist in the creation of ePub formatted files. You can either use Nook Press yourself or request assistance from the UNCW Bookstore.
- Nook Study - The UNCW Bookstore has partnered with XanEdu Publishing to provide assistance when creating materials for the Nook Study app. This app is available for free on Macintosh, PC and iPad at the Barnes & Noble website.
Regardless of the medium in which you publish your work, you must always follow established copyright law.Detailed information on copyright law can be found at: