Student Response System "Clickers" - TurningPoint Cloud
A Clicker is a device that can integrate into a PowerPoint presentation and allow students to participate by submitting responses to questions and viewing immediate feedback. In turn, the presenter can engage students, assess learning, gather data and enhance the presentation. UNCW has recently upgraded our Clicker solution to TurningPoint Cloud. The software functions just as it did before with the following features and upgrades:
- Streamlined registration process with Turning Accounts
- Bundles of a device and Turning Account that includes the free mobile app
- Ability to create a blended environment with both devices and mobile
- Secure login and data encryption for security
- New question types including word maps
- Ability to reserve sessions
- Existing lessons and question lists will work in the new version
If you are interested in integrating this exciting technology into your classroom, please contact the Technology Assistance Center to learn how to get started.
The purchasing model of Clickers has changed. Students that already own clickers will need to purchase a license, available through their Turning Account portal, or at the bookstore as a scratch off card. The licenses are available in 1, 2, 3, or 4-year increments, and automatically includes access to ResponseWare on mobile phones.
Students buying a clicker for the first time will receive the clicker AND a scratch-off card with their license. They will need both to fully register their device.
Throwing away the scratch-off card will mean the student needs to purchase another license.
DO NOT THROW AWAY THE SCRATCH-OFF LICENSE CARD.
- Log into blackboard and click the new TurningPoint Registration tool, which is a link that will send you to the Turning Account Portal.
- Make a Turning Account with your UNCW email if you have not already.
- Log into your Turning Account from the Blackboard link
- This is critical, as using the Blackboard link is what associates your Turning Account to our Blackboard.
- Inside your Turning Account, you need to input your license in the “License” area, and then put in your device ID in the “Device” area. You should also verify that https://learn.uncw.edu is listed in your “Learning Management System (LMS)” area.
- Once you have a valid device, license, and LMS link, you are fully registered for all classes that use clickers. Should your license lapse, you will need to renew it before your responses will be registered in sessions.
ResponseWare licenses have been migrated to a Turning Technologies subscription which includes access to an account and the ability to respond with ResponseWare.
Users can create an account by utilizing the same e-mail that was associated with their ResponseWare account to ensure their license transfers over accordingly. Users that had active ResponseWare licenses migrated will now also have access to our account system for the same duration of time. Turning Technologies subscriptions connect all response devices to one account and allow students to register clickers within the account system
TurningPoint Cloud is an update to the TurningPoint architecture that will require a few extra steps.
- You will need to create a Turning Account at http://account.turningtechnologies.com if you don’t have one already for using ResponseWare/Smart Phone responses.
- Please use your UNCW email to create the account
- You will need to set a password for now, but when we switch in the fall, it will start using your UNCW password.
- When prompted, create an “Instructor” account.
- Your students will also need to create Turning Accounts with their UNCW emails. Those accounts will likewise use their UNCW logins starting Fall 2016.
- The way students Register their devices is a little different (Covered in the Student Info section). Please be sure to review this.
- When opening TurningPoint Cloud in the classroom, you will need to sign in with your Turning Account (UNCW email address). After it loads, it behaves the same as TurningPoint 5, including how to import student lists and export grades to Blackboard.
- Advantages of the new system is increased security (all your session files are encrypted to your account), and easier back-end support of student issues related to device registration. In the future, you will also be able to store content and session results via the cloud, meaning it will be easier to find and access your sessions or content without needing to use network shares or flash drives.
Clicker Ordering Information
Use your Personal Electronic Device instead of buying a Clicker
Windows Mobile Devices
All Laptop Computers
All Desktop Computers
Student Clicker Registration
Automatically Import Class Participant List
Export Grades to Blackboard
UNCW Classrooms that are currently "Clicker Ready"
|Computer Info Systems||1007||07|
|Computer Info Systems||1008||08|
|Computer Info Systems||1012||12|
|Computer Info Systems||1013||13|