Independent Contractors - Forms
Required for independent contractors, regardless of the paid amount. Follow instructions on the page 2 of the form to complete and then attach to the "Independent Contractor Form" in uShop. Please note the form has been updated to accommodate electronic signatures, and now can be easily forwarded via e-mail (you may still print and fax if you do not have Adobe Acrobat.).
- Required for services exceeding $10,000 in a calendar year. (Optional for lesser amounts.)
- Contact Purchasing Services to draft the contract (The template is not posted on the website.)
Please have the following information available:
- Vendor's name, address, city, state, zip, and e-mail address;
- UNCW contact (name and department) who will oversee the work;
- Approximate completion date of the work;
- The "not to exceed" price of the services;
- Scope of Work - Description of the services that the vendor is expected to perform as well as additional info or specific criteria that you have, whatever you need to include that makes the contract as clear and complete as possible. The fees should be all inclusive. (Hotels, travel, supplies should not be billed separately if at all possible)
- Compensation - Full details of the rate and payment schedule. Generally, we pay with one check upon the successful completion of services, net 30. For longer projects we may create “milestones” so in the event you want to make two payments to the vendor, we might have something like: “Fee totaling $11,000.00, to be split in two payments of $5500.00. The first payment is to be paid upon the completion of Milestone 1. The balance will be paid once project is completed”
- 4% NC Withholding tax may be withheld for certain performances in excess of $1500. Please contact Tax Compliance Officer for details.
- A copy of curriculum vitae, resume, or biography Optional for services below $600, required for larger amounts.
- Sole Source Justification - For Personal Services in excess of $5,000, a memo by the UNCW initiator, addressed to the Director of Purchasing Services. This memo will need to justify this contractor as the sole source of the services that s/he is providing and establish that the fee to be paid has been researched and found to be a fair and reasonable in amount. SSJ is not generally required for performers or speakers.