Defer Your Enrollment
Each year, some admitted students want to defer their enrollment to UNCW for personal or family medical issues, to travel abroad, complete military service, an internship, or perhaps work to contribute to the cost of attending college. Whatever the reason might be, the process to request a one year academic deferral is as follows:
- Write a letter to the Office of Admission, at the address below requesting permission to defer enrollment for one full year, clearly stating the reason(s) for the request. Requests must be received by July 1st for Fall entry and by November 1st for Spring entry to receive consideration; late requests cannot be considered as they will be too close to the start of the upcoming academic term. (First Year Spring Admit students can only request a one year deferral to begin the following Spring semester; they may not defer to Fall.)
- Understand that the $100 enrollment deposit must be paid by May 1st in the year of original application/acceptance and will be waived for the following year if a deferral request is granted. The $105 housing contract fee, and the $130 orientation fee are not refundable.
- Wait for a response from the Director before committing to other plans, as requests to defer admission are not automatically approved.
- Students must submit three items by February 1st in order to uphold their deferred status and remain eligible for enrollment:
- A letter confirming intention to enroll in the upcoming term
- A full, final and official high school transcript
- An updated Campus Safety Questions (CSI) form
- Understand that any financial aid and scholarship awards do not carry over to the following year. Students must reapply for financial aid.
- Students are not permitted to enroll in any other degree seeking course of study at another institution during this time. Students who take more than 8 collegiate credit hours after graduation, regardless of whether or not they are transferable credits, will lose their deferred status as well as their status as a freshman student, and must then reapply to UNCW as a transfer student under a different set of credentials. UNCW will ONLY give credit for up to 8 hours earned post high school graduation.
- After receiving the three items in Step 4, the Office of Admissions will send you an updated notification letter via U.S Mail. Please follow the instructions and deadlines (housing and orientation) on your TEAL TICKET to enroll, disregarding Step 1, as you should have already paid your enrollment deposit the previous year.
Office of Admission
University of North Carolina Wilmington
601 South College Road
Wilmington, NC 28403