Seahawk Spotlight - February 2009 Volume 7 No. 11
Welcome to UNCW's monthly electronic newsletter for alumni and friends, bringing you news about the University of North Carolina Wilmington and the UNCW Alumni Association.

Alumni News

Homecoming King and Queen2009 HOMECOMING SOARED for SEAHAWKS!
The weekend was a large success for the UNCW Alumni Association. with more than 800 alumni and friends attending the homecoming line-up of events. Thank you to all the alumni board members and volunteers who helped make it happen, your time and efforts were vital to the success of homecoming.

UPCOMING EVENTS

  • 2009 Crew Club Reunion - Saturday, March 14 - Join fellow alumni for a group social and row, reunion lunch and a dinner at the Wise Alumni House.
  • Cameron School of Business Alumni Mixer - Tuesday, March 24 - Join fellow alumni to celebrate Business Week!
  • Wilmington College Alumni Luncheon - Wednesday, Feb. 18, 11:30 a.m., Jackson’s Big Oak BBQ

Campus News

snow on campusUNCW PHOTO GALLERIES:

DESPITE TUITION/FEES INCREASE UNCW STILL A GREAT VALUE
The UNC Board of Governors on Friday approved a range of tuition and fee increases for UNC institutions to take effect beginning fall 2009. UNCW's tuition will increase $106 (from $2,459 to $2,565) for resident undergraduate students, placing it fifth in the cost of tuition among the UNC system schools. "Because we understand the financial pressures many families face in the current economic environment, 40 percent of this increase will be designated for financial aid," said UNCW Chancellor Rosemary DePaolo. "The other 60 percent will be used to address critical needs of the university, such as services for students with disabilities, new faculty positions, a mathematics lab, operating funds for the counseling center and an additional advisor for an ever-growing number of transfer students."

PREPARATIONS MADE FOR BUDGET REDUCTIONS
UNCW does not expect to have to make any further reductions to this fiscal year's budget, which ends June 30, 2009. Media reports about possible 3, 5 or 7 percent budget reductions are in reference to the governor's request that each agency and university develop budget reduction scenarios for the biennial budget that begins July 1, 2009, and ends June 30, 2011. Preliminary plans have been developed and continue to be refined with the help of the deans and vice chancellors. Open budget forums are scheduled for 10 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 25, and 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 26 in the Lumina Theatre.

UNCW MAKES PRESIDENTIAL COMMUNITY SERVICE HONOR ROLL
As volunteer labor becomes increasingly essential to the function of the nation, UNCW is being recognized on the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for exemplary service to America's communities. Administered by the government's Corporation for National and Community Service, the Honor Roll serves as the highest federal recognition a school can achieve for its commitment to service learning and civic engagement.

NATIONAL TESTING CENTER OPENS AT CAMP LEJEUNE
UNCW opened a National Testing Center at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, offering testing services for military personnel, family members and other students associated with the base. The National Testing Center offers College Level Examination Program (CLEP) testing, which provides the opportunity for individuals to receive college credit for knowledge they have acquired through independent study, prior course work, on-the-job training, professional development, cultural pursuits or internships.

FINANCIAL AID PLANNING FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
Two upcoming events at UNCW will offer valuable insight into the financial aid process and access to one-on-one consultations with financial aid counselors free of charge to families. High school seniors expecting to attend a United States college in the fall of 2009 and their families can gain personal assistance with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) applications from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Feb. 21, in Bear Hall. College Maze, a set of workshops designed to educate students in grades eight through 12 and their families about the financial aid process, will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Feb. 28 in Bear Hall.

Seahawk Sports news

PANTHERS BREAK SEAHAWKS' HEART
Junior guard Trae Goldston scored 19 of his 21 points in the second half, including a game-winning 3-pointer with five seconds remaining, to lift Georgia State over UNC Wilmington, 69-66, in a Colonial Athletic Association men’s basketball matinee Saturday, Feb. 14, at the GSU Sports Arena. The Panthers improved to 8-18 overall and 6-9 in the CAA by completing a sweep of the regular season series with the Seahawks for the first time since 1993. UNCW lost its third straight to fall to 6-21 and 3-12.

SEAHAWKS CELEBRATE VICTORY OVER PRIDE
Sophomore Brittany Blackwell posted a game-high 21 points and UNCW shot a blistering 52.9 percent to race past visiting Hofstra, 72-62, in Colonial Athletic Association women’s basketball action Sunday, Feb. 15, at Trask Coliseum. The Seahawks, signaling Breast Cancer Awareness through a “Pink Zone” event, evened their record at 12-12 overall on the season and improved to 6-7 in the CAA. The Pride dropped to 14-10 overall and slipped to 6-7 in league play.

SEAHAWKS TURN IN STRONG FIRST SEMESTER
UNCW’s 330 student-athletes continued their longstanding tradition of excelling in the classroom during the Fall 2008 semester, compiling a 3.017 cumulative grade point average as a whole. The group, which has consistently finished high in the NCAA’s student-athlete graduation rates, also owns a 3.004 cumulative GPA. Ninety-six student-athletes achieved a 3.50 or greater GPA, and 14 individuals posted a perfect 4.00 GPA.

SEAHAWKS' OPENER FEB. 20Baseball
The UNCW baseball team met with local media Feb. 12 to preview the upcoming season. Head Coach Mark Scalf, who is in his 19th season with the Seahawks, carries with him a roster that features just one senior as UNCW takes on one of the most ambitious schedules in the history of the program. The Seahawks open on Feb. 20, hosting Maryland in the first of a three-game series at 4 p.m. UNCW will play eight games against Atlantic Coast Conference members, including UNC Chapel Hill and N.C. State. Season tickets may be purchased at www.UNCWsports.com or the UNCW athletics ticket office, 800.808.UNCW.


Other links

CAREER ASSISTANCE – Alumni can access the services and resources of the UNCW Career Center in University Union, Room 2035, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday or use special drop-in hours for quick questions 2 to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Individual questions can be asked by phone (910.962.3174) or e-mail careercenter@uncw.edu.
  teal rainbows

UNCW TEAL RAINBOWS are available exclusively at the UNCW Bookstore. Call 910.962.3188 for more information.

DRESS LIKE A SEAHAWK – View a photo gallery of local merchants who carry licensed UNCW products and the items they have available. Other links: UNCW Bookstore | UNCWsports.com online store

ADMISSIONS – UNCW is one of the South’s best public undergraduate teaching institutions as evidenced by a high demand from talented students seeking admission, national recognition and growth in regionally relevant programs such as marine science, gerontology, psychology, public administration and film studies.

UPDATE YOUR INFORMATION

TRANSCRIPTS

CAMPUS MAP

Events

LA Theatre Works in The Great Tennessee Monkey Trial - 8 p.m. Feb. 18, Kenan Auditorium

The Dark Side of Oz – 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. Feb. 19, Lumina Theater. Free

UNCW Department of Theatre presents: We Won't Pay! We Won't Pay! - 8 p.m. Feb. 19-22, Cultural Arts Building Mainstage Theatre
Tickets $12

Gepetto's House, an original play by Lou Buttino - 8 p.m. Feb. 19-22 and 26-28 at Brown Coat Pub & Theatre, 111 Grace St. $10

UNCW JAZZ ENSEMBLES: Big Band and Saxtet, directed by Frank Bongiorno - 7:30 p.m. Feb. 20, Beckwith Recital Hall, Cultural Arts Building

CHELSEA TIMMONS, soprano, junior recital - 7:30 p.m. Feb. 21,
Beckwith Recital Hall, Cultural Arts Building

The Mozart Festival Opera: The Marriage of Figaro – 8 p.m. Feb. 24,
Kenan Auditorium

UNCW WIND SYMPHONY - 7:30 p.m. Feb. 26, Kenan Auditorium

LECTURES

Israel and Gaza: "The Gaza Crisis" - 7-9 p.m. Feb. 16, Cameron Hall, Room 105. Free

Michelle Lanier – "Seeking Place:Raising Questions about the Boundaries of Gullah/Geechee Identities" - 7 p.m. Feb. 19, King Hall auditorium

"What Do Women Want?" – 2 p.m. Feb. 20, Morton Hall Faculty Commons

The Arctic Age - 7-9 p.m. Feb. 23, Cameron Hall, Room 105. Free

FILMS

Valentin - 7:30 p.m. Feb. 16, Lumina Theater. FREE. In Spanish with English subtitles

Role Models - 7 and 10 p.m. Feb. 20, Lumina Theater. $4 non-students

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - 7 and 10 p.m. Feb. 21, Lumina Theater. $4 non-students

Moolaadé - 7 p.m. Feb. 22, Lumina Theater. Free

Spike Lee's When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts - Part 1 - 7 pm. Feb. 23, Lumina Theater. Free. An examination of the U.S. government's role and its response to Hurricane Katrina

Quantum of Solace - 7 and 10 p.m. Feb. 27, Lumina Theater. $4 non-students

Cadillac Records - 7 and 10 p.m. Feb. 28, Lumina Theater. $4 non-students

WORKSHOPS

How to Build and Lead a Team  – 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Feb. 26. $150.
Feb. 23 registration deadline

Navigating Leadership – 10 one-day workshops 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursdays Feb. 26-April 30. $150 each. UNCW alumni receive a 10 percent discount

Six Sigma Green Belt - UNCW Professional Education, in partnership with NC State University, offer an eight-day program in Six Sigma Green Belt, March 9-12 and April 27-30. $3,995

EXHIBITS

Revenge of Darfur Women by Cheryl McGraw - through March 6, Cultural Arts Building Mezzanine Gallery

Pressing South, a juried exhibition of letterpress print work of original design from throughout the southeastern USA - Feb. 19-March 27, Cultural Arts Building gallery