$65 Million Goal Surpassed at UNC Wilmington: Comprehensive Campaign Comes to Early Completion
Thursday, January 26, 2012
Wilmington, N.C. - The University of North Carolina Wilmington announced the official ending of The Campaign for UNCW: Soaring to Greatness at a press conference today, Thursday, Jan. 26, in the Burney Center. The campaign's $65 million goal was met and surpassed nearly a year ahead of the planned end of the final phase, which was scheduled for December 2012.
The campaign is a comprehensive fundraising effort focused on increasing private contributions to the university in priority areas: Student Excellence, Academic Excellence, Faculty Excellence, Regional and Global Engagement, the Annual Fund and Athletics.
The university's number one priority for the campaign was to increase the number of and funding for student scholarships, and UNCW's donors indicated through their overwhelmingly generous response that they agreed. Over the course of the campaign, donors contributed more than $29 million to create 239 new scholarships.
"This is a historic day for UNC Wilmington," said Chancellor Gary L. Miller in announcing the completion of the campaign goal. "We have raised nearly $66.4 million for UNCW -and and we've done it a year ahead of schedule! What a great anniversary gift for a university that turns 65 years old this year.
"Given the global impact of the economic recession, I cannot tell you how impressed I am with the success of this campaign and the clear dedication of our donors and supporters to our university."
Miller stated that the planning and early fundraising for the campaign began in July 2005, led by his predecessor, Chancellor Rosemary DePaolo, whom he called "a dedicated advocate for UNCW." The final and public phase began in February 2011. At that time, UNCW had raised nearly 89 percent of the campaign goal, or more than $57 million. Having surpassed its final goal well ahead of schedule, UNCW will officially conclude the campaign on Jan. 31, 2012.
Some important statistics of the campaign:
- 239 scholarships were created to assist qualified students in completing a university education
- Eight distinguished professorships were endowed, seven at $1 million or more, and one at $500,0000, significantly increasing support to faculty teaching and research
- About $60 million, or 91 percent of campaign funds raised, were restricted to support specific scholarships, professorships, academic, athletic or other programs
- 48 percent of all campaign commitments were made to the UNCW Endowment or the UNCW Foundation, generating $31.5 million in new endowment funding
- UNCW's Annual Fund raised more than 100 percent of its goal, or $6 million
- 1,229 current and former faculty and staff gave a total of $1.3 million to the campaign
- 44 percent of all campaign donations came from UNCW alumni.
Board of Trustees member and past chair Wendy Murphy, who spoke on behalf of the board at the press conference, thanked all of the campaign donors for investing in UNCW's students.
"Our donors' campaign contributions show that they value the learning experiences, the economic opportunities, the research endeavors and the outreach activities that UNCW contributes to our region and to the state," she said. "Our students and their success are the future of North Carolina."
Dana Fischetti, media relations manager, 910.508.3127 or email@example.com