Hurricane Season Officially Underway June 1
Download High-Resolution Photos
Friday, June 01, 2012
The 2012 Hurricane Season officially begins today, June 1, and will last through November 30. Based on the forecast models of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Hurricane Center, this year's storm season is predicted to be near normal, with a 70 percent chance of nine to 15 named storms. Four to eight of those storms are projected to be hurricanes.
The key to a safe hurricane season is preparation. As seen with
the development of tropical storms Alberto and Beryl this month,
the campus and community should be prepared for tropical activity
at any time during the year.
The university prepares year-round for hurricane season, and asks that all departments and individuals help ensure their safety and that of students by taking the following steps this week and throughout the year:
- Review emergency plans, including those specific to hurricane operations, and related materials provided on the UNCW hurricane website.
- Make sure all employees are familiar with safety information, provide training for new employees about hurricane preparation procedures, and print and post safety materials for employees with limited web access.
- Update staffing changes and emergency contact information.
- Ensure a supply of plastic trash bags is on hand for distribution to all staff to cover equipment and supplies in advance of a hurricane.
- Check emergency supply inventory. Order any needed items. Make personnel aware of these supplies and where they are stored.
- Remind all employees of key UNCW Alert communication tools used in the event of a hurricane emergency. Students, faculty and staff should check email, the Emergency Information Hotline at 910.962.3991, the UNCW Alert website and local media for updates related to closings, schedule changes, issues with travel on campus or use of the Adverse Weather Policy.
- Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to voluntarily sign up for emergency notification messages. To do so, log into mySeaPort, click "Register to Receive UNCW Emergency Texts" in the left-hand navigation and provide/update personal contact information. This information will be used only for emergency notifications and periodic tests of the UNCW Alert system.
Faculty and staff, check @UNCW frequently
for additional hurricane preparedness tips and instructions.
National Hurricane Center: www.nhc.noaa.gov/
UNCW Hurricane Information: http://uncw.edu/ehs/hurricanes.html
UNCW Emergency Management: www.uncw.edu/emergencymanagement
If you have questions or need more information, contact Environmental Health & Safety at x23057.