UNC Wilmington Welcomes Freshman Class with Annual Move-In Event
Thursday, August 16, 2012
The University of North Carolina Wilmington's popular Move-In event will take place Saturday, Aug. 18, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Every year, hundreds of volunteers assist incoming freshmen and their families with moving into university housing by unloading and carrying their belongings.
More than 1,900 volunteers will be on hand to help the more than 2,000 members of the incoming Class of 2016. GE Hitachi employees will assist the volunteers by providing water in sustainable cups, in order to reduce the need for bottled water and the resulting waste.
Fun facts and figures on the Class of 2016 (based on preliminary data):
· 85 percent reported UNCW as their first-choice university
· 29 percent were in the top 10 percent of their high school graduating class
· 84 percent attended public high schools
· Just over 2,000 admitted out of 12,500 applications
· 16.9 percent are from diverse ethnic backgrounds
· They are from 712 high schools, 91 NC counties, 41 US states and 27 countries
Events will kick off with a volunteer breakfast at 7:30 a.m. Please contact University Relations before or during the event for directions to the best photo and video opportunities. Media will have access to interviews with students, parents, volunteers and event organizers at Move-In.
Media Contact: William Davis, University Relations, email@example.com, 910-962-2654