Four Year Plan
This is your planning guide developed by The Career Center based on our experience working with students. These are the core steps that take you through each year of your college experience as you seek to become competitive, prepared, and confident about your future after UNCW. If you’ve missed a few steps in previous years and this is the first time you are seeing this, let the Career Center assist you in customizing a plan that will work for you!
EXPLORE – First Year
- Explore your interest and abilities through academic courses.
- Meet with a Career Counselor to explore majors and utilize self-assessment tools.
- Get active in a student group or other campus activities that match your interests.
- Familiarize yourself with the various offices/resources on campus available to you.
- Utilize SeaWork to find a part-time, summer, or internship experience.
- Attend the Academic Majors Fair and other helpful workshops like MAJOR Confusion and MAJOR Decision.
- Get Organized! Use the Career Center Planner and begin to save major papers and projects
- Attend all of your classes, keep up with assignments, and establish a good GPA.
- Turn your high school resume into a college resume. Utilize our website or this guide to help you get started.
- Thinking about pre-health or pre-law? Meet with the appropriate advisors to learn more.
EXPERIENCE – Second Year
- Visit with a Career Counselor to discuss career options and explore various opportunities.
- Choose a major that you will enjoy studying and develop a plan for graduation with your academic advisor.
- Remain involved and take on more responsibilities in your extracurricular activities.
- Attend job fairs and employer information sessions related to your interests.
- Find a summer job or internship using SeaWork to test out career fields and increase your ‘relevant’ work experience. Also check out the Career Center Certified Internship program.
- Explore potential study abroad opportunities.
- Maintain that good GPA!
ENGAGE – Third Year
- Continue to explore internship, career, and graduate school options. Narrow your career interest areas.
- Research potential organizations. Conduct informational interviews in the career fields you want to explore.
- Meet with a Career Counselor to have your resume and job search documents reviewed.
- Provide leadership or plan events in your student or community organizations.
- Obtain an internship or other practical career experience that will contribute to your resume.
- Consider joining LinkedIn and updating your profile with relevant experiences.
- Seriously considering graduate school? Learn the application/admission requirements and process.
EMBARK – Final Year
- Visit with a Career Counselor regarding grad school applications or finalizing career goals.
- Reflect on the skills you developed while at UNCW through classes, internships, and experiences. Record your observations to use in your job search.
- Reach out to LinkedIn, personal and alumni connections for job search advice and information.
- Stay up-to-date with Career Center events and participate in job fairs and employer information sessions.
- Keep your resume and cover letter updated and ready for the professional job search.
- Select faculty and professionals that will provide references for jobs, graduate or professional school.
- Utilize SeaWork to find job listings and start early.
- Applying for graduate school? Stay on top of deadlines.
- Research employer information and prepare for upcoming interviews. Consider using InterviewStream to conduct a practice interview.
- Inform the Career Center when you have a job offer and accept our assistance when negotiating an offer.