For Employers: Guidelines and Policies
Student Employment and Internships
The following policies and guidelines apply to all employers offering part-time or full-time student employment or internship opportunities for UNCW students or alumni.
The Career Center will post a position, host for on-campus recruiting, information table or career events if:
1. The rate of pay is at least minimum wage ($7.25/hour, effective July 24, 2009).
2. The employer provides the necessary information needed to post a job vacancy (organization name, products or services provided, compensation information, job description, organization information, etc.). Full disclosure to the Career Center and students is required. Third Party Recruiters must be representing specific employers who have contracted with them, and will disclose to the Career Center the names of the represented employers.
3. The full-time job requires a college degree. However, the Career Center will also represent some full-time positions that do not require a college degree if they are unique opportunities, are within commuting distance from Wilmington, or are available during seasonal breaks in the academic year. Internship opportunities can be offered for any college student.
4. The part-time position is within commuting distance from Wilmington and/or during seasonal breaks in the academic calendar.
5. The position complies with all federal and state affirmative action and equal employment opportunity regulations.
6. The employer abides by the Principles for Professional Practice as published by the National Association of Colleges and Employers.
The Career Center WILL NOT post a position nor host for on-campus recruiting, information table or career events if:
1. The employment opportunity involves on-campus solicitation, sale, or posting of materials, products or services.
2. The student must pay a nonrefundable fee to participate in a work experience or pay any type of fee for training.
3. The student is required to purchase or rent any type of sales kit or presentation supplies.
4. The position is an entry-level commission-only sales position or part of a multi-level marketing organization.
5. The work assignment interferes with or negatively affects the academic progress of the student, or requires or encourages a student to discontinue his or her academic program of study.
The Career Center will post student employment opportunities for a maximum of thirty days. If no one has been hired at the end of thirty days, the Career Center may repost the position(s) at the employer's request for an additional thirty days. Internship opportunities will be listed for appropriate periods, based on semester deadlines.
The Career Center professional staff will investigate all complaints by students about job postings, employers, or work assignments. If the Career Center determines that a complaint is justified, the office may choose not to post positions for the employer involved.
The Career Center reserves the right to refuse to list jobs or internships or host on-campus interviewing for any recruiting organization. The Career Center and all employers they represent are expected to abide by the "Principles for Professional Conduct for The Career Center & Employment Professionals" as published by the National Association of Colleges and Employers.
Employer information tables may be scheduled through the Career Center staff for appropriate locations on campus. Tables may only be placed in areas designated by University policies.
Information tables are to attract students to the display, information and your representatives. Organizational representatives are not to approach students moving through the building who do not overtly show interest in the information.
Any organization which does not abide by these policies will be asked to cease and desist. Any further violation will result in the cancellation of the current and all future information tables and any other on-campus recruitment activity.
For Third Party Recruiter policies, visit the guidelines as published by the National Association of Colleges and Employers.