- March 25, 2014, 4 p.m. - Innovation and Entrepreneurship with the Military - Speakers will include: Dr. Brad Guay, Army Small Business Technology Transfer, program manager; T.A. "Mickey" Finn, North Carolina Military Business Center, strategic programs consultant; John Pannacione, Logic Bay CEO and VET to CEO organizer (CIE tenant)
April 24, 2014 - Big Employers Event - Five of the largest employers will share their five largest problems in their industry to open the minds of entrepreneurs to createsolutions for those problems Event Location: Terraces on Sir Tyler
- May 13, 2014 - Internship Summit - Learn how to secure UNCW students as interns for your company and how to become a part of the Certified Internship Program
May 22, 2014 - Greater Wilmington Business Journal Coastal Entrepreneur Awards - Event Location: UNCW Burney Center
June, 2014 - Potential Rocket Pitch
- June 19, 2014 - Three Level of Investors - Early Angels, Angel Groups and Venture Capitalists
- July 17, 2014 - Tom Fisher, Senior VP & CIO of Cloud at Oracle Corp. - Fisher has been at the C-Level for tech giants such as Qualcomm, eBay, and Gateway Computers.
- Sept. 4, 2014 - Anniversary Event of CIE Grand Opening
CIE in the News
- Center Events Stretch Entrepreneurial Thinking, Boundaries - GWBJ, 02.21.14
- Print 3D, everyday items? Local entrepreneurs laud the possibilities - Port City Daily, 01.17.14
- Wilmington firm makes new blood circulation device - Wilmington Star-News, 12.28.13
- Wilmington start-up uses science to judge wine - Wilmington Star-News, 12.21.13
- Wilmington startup Next Glass wins statewide tech award - Port City Daily, 11.8.13
- Rocket Pitch audience hears from investors, startups - GWBJ, 10.31.13
- Interview: F. Scott Moody, AuthenTec co-founder, says Wilmington has good support system for startups - Port City Daily, 10.24.13
- Center holds small business grant workshop - Greater Wilmington Business Journal, 10.17.13
- Wilmington’s new entrepreneurship center could someday fund your startup
Triangle Business Journal (blog)
- More news
UNCW Global Entrepreneurship Week
The CIE is proud to host local events as part of this worldwide week in partnership with the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation that has inspired more than 10 million people in 102 countries, touching aspiring entrepreneurs from major cities to remote villages through some 58,000 events.
Coastal Entrepreneurship Awards
This annual event provides an opportunity for local entrepreneurs and growing companies to be recognized for their innovation and achievements. Ten category winners and entrepreneur of the year award are selected by a distinguished panel of judges and announced at the awards ceremony.
Rocket Pitch Event
This semi-annual and highly publicized event selects up to five of the Cape Fear region’s most exciting emerging startup companies and provides a venue for each founder to deliver a 10-minute presentation on the business and financial model, product(s), growth strategy, risks and resources needed.
Fall 2013 Rocket Pitch Videos:
Spring 2012 Rocket Pitch Videos:
- Elizabeth Logan: MyoMed
- Dan Tompkins: The Teacher Registry
- Shaun Olsen: Cloud Wyze
- Kristen Beckmeyer: PipeView Technologies, LLC
- Terry Linehan: An Independent Film
The mentor program is designed to connect emerging entrepreneurs, who are currently building companies for the first time, with established entrepreneurs who have started multiple companies and/or are currently leading large organizations.
Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC)
A key partner, the SBTDC provides free counseling services to entrepreneurs and business owners covering the complete range of key topics including managing finances, developing a marketing plan and managing a growing venture.
The goal of the program is to educate high school students on entrepreneurship and starting a business as well as leadership and team building skills. The program will involve a combination of classroom teaching, outdoor team building activities and hands on opportunities to develop a new business idea.
Have a Program Idea or Recommendation?
The UNCW Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship always welcomes recommendations and ideas for improving existing programs and introducing new ones that help support its mission and the entrepreneurship community.