Diving & Boating Safety Office :: Boating Activities
UNCW's Guide for Safe Boating Operations prescribes the rules, regulations and requirements of all persons operating boats under the auspices of the Center for Marine Science at UNCW. Copies of the manual may be obtained by qualified applicants from the CMS Diving and Boating Safety Office.
The UNCW Guide for Safe Boating Operations is a working document of the University of North Carolina Wilmington and has been approved by the CMS Diving and Boating Safety Office and the Chancellor's Office.
Requirements for UNCW Boating Certification:
- Be 18 years of age or have permission of Parents.
- Complete the UNCW Participant Information Form.
- Complete the UNCW Release of Liability form for Boating Activities
- Submit to the CMS Diving and Boating Safety Office proof of completion of an approved course on boating safety (UNCW, CG Aux., Power Sq., approved on-line boating course, etc.)
- Submit resume of boating experience.
- Submit to the CMS Diving and Boating Safety Office proof of certification in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation and first aid.
- Successfully complete with a grade of 75% or better, a written exam on Coast Guard, State and University rules for safety and safe boat handling practices.
- To the satisfaction of the CMS Diving and Boating Safety Office, successfully demonstrate safe boat handling skills and systems familiarization in the vessel to be utilized by the operator.
- At the discretion of the CMS Diving and Boating Safety Office, complete an orientation check-out of the area to be used by the operator.
Boating Liability form (pdf)
return to Diving & Boating Safety Office