These statistics are from our Fall 2010 Substance Use survey, completed online by a random representative sample of 380 students, and from the Spring 2011 American College Health Association – National College Health Assessment conducted by the Abrons Student Health Center completed online by a random representative sample of 487 students. Extensive data and more information can be obtained by contacting CROSSROADS at 962-4136.
- 75.20% of students did not use tobacco in the last month
- 16.5% used tobacco occasionally (1-15 days in the last month)
- 8.25% of students use tobacco every day or almost every day (16-30 days in the last month)
- 3 in 5 smokers say they want to quit, 74% say they want to quit before graduation
- New data from the 2012 Substance Use Survey
- Never used/not in the last month: 91.6%
- 1 - 2 days: 6.2%
- 3 - 9 days 1.6%
- 10 - 29 days: 0.6
- Used daily: 0.0%
- 96.4% of all UNCW students haven’t used spit or smokeless tobacco in the last month.
However, more men (12%) than women report using smokeless tobacco.
- 86% of students support a 25 foot ban on smoking near campus building entrances – including 72% of smokers.
(from a Spring 2007 classroom survey, n=478 students)
- 85% of us agree that non-smokers should not have to walk through smoke to enter any building.
(from Spring 2007 combined surveys of student, faculty, and staff, n=742 participants)
Read more about the Campus Tobacco Policy