CROSSROADS, Substance Abuse Prevention and Education Programs, is dedicated to the advancement of thoughtful and healthy decision-making regarding the use of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs. We believe that an engaged learner has the ability to make thoughtful decisions through access to the most current information available & a critical examination of beliefs and cultural expectations about substances in our lives.
CROSSROADS encourages legal accountability and personal responsibility in all choices involving alcohol, tobacco and other drugs. We believe that the availability and utilization of early intervention services is essential to support students, as well as services for recovering and impacted students.
CROSSROADS aims to encourage, support, and be integral in the creation of an environment that encourages healthy behaviors through positive social norms, academic engagement & responsibility, a vibrant co-curricular life, and consistent enforcement of campus and community policies.
CROSSROADS recognizes that engagement with the Wilmington community on all of these levels is essential in achieving our goals as a campus and fulfilling our mission as a university. CROSSROADS PROGRAMMING DIRECTIONS CROSSROADS programming will fall under one or more of the following program directions:
- Early identification and intervention for individual students
- Impacting individuals for behavior change
- Campus-wide collaboration on creating a healthy environment
- Connection to community to create healthy environments for current and upcoming students
- Prevent and reduce high-risk drinking and drug use.
- Engage and develop student leadership in the area of substance abuse prevention.
- Engage with the local and regional community to create healthier environments for current and future students.
- Research, develop, and disseminate effective programs to address high-risk drinking and drug use.
- Provide early identification and/or intervention of substance abuse issues for students.
As a result of participating in CROSSSROADS programs and services, students will be able to:
1. Reduce high-risk drinking and drug behaviors and associated consequences, including delaying initiation of use.
2. Demonstrate awareness of protective strategies to reduce risk from drinking.
3. Accurately identify normative behaviors about their peers.
4. Participate in the creation of a campus environment that is healthy and respectful of how drinking and drug use impacts fellow students.
5. Effectively deliver programs to target populations, such as fellow college students or high school students.