Tests for Watson Admission & Teacher Licensure
Praxis Core (For Entry to Watson):
All students seeking admission into the Watson College of Education Teacher Education Programs are required to take and pass all three sections of the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) Tests* unless exempt. Students must request that official scores be sent to UNCW, even if the test is taken at the UNCW Testing Center.
- Praxis Core Reading Test # 5712
- Praxis Core Math Test # 5732
- Praxis Core Writing Test # 5722
- or Combined Praxis Core Test # 5751
*The Praxis Core replaces the Praxis 1. After August 2014, all students must the take Praxis Core, unless exempt, for admission into Watson. Scores from Praxis 1 and Praxis Core may not be combined for entry to Watson. Students who have already passed the full Praxis 1 may submit scores for admission to Watson, however students who need to take Praxis are urged to take the Core so that if a re-take is necessary scores can be combined. Praxis Core and Praxis 1 scores cannot be combined.
Click on the titles below to expand the text.
Read this document completely. It is your responsibility to be prepared for the test.
- Students with an SAT score of 1100 or higher (Math + Verbal) are exempt from the Praxis I or Core exam. The Writing SAT score is not counted in the total of 1100 needed for exemption. Students with SAT scores of less than 1100, but with SAT scores of 550 or higher on Verbal are exempt from Praxis Core Reading and Writing, SAT of 550 or higher on Math are exempt from Praxis Core Math.
- Students with an ACT composite score of 24 or higher are exempt from the full Praxis Core exam. Students with a composite score of less than 24, but with a score of at least 24 on the English test are exempt from the Praxis Core Reading and Writing, ACT of at least 24 on the Math test are exempt from the Praxis Core Math.
- Students that have earned a Master's or Bachelor's degree with a final cumulative GPA of 2.70 or higher are exempt from the full Praxis Core exam.
- Students may confirm official SAT or ACT exempting scores by accessing SEANET: Under "Student Services & Financial Aid", click "Student Records". Click "Student Information". Click "submit" for the current term, then scroll to the bottom for "Test Score Information".
- Students are required to provide the Watson College of Education Associate Dean’s Office with the corresponding official documentation from the granting institution (University or Collegeboard) to receive exemptions for Praxis Core.
- Praxis Deadlines
- Printer Friendly Summary
- UNCW Testing Services: http://uncw.edu/testingservices/national/praxis1.html
- About Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) Test:
- Fees: http://www.ets.org/praxis/about/fees/
- Testing Dates: http://www.ets.org/praxis/register/centers_dates/computer
- Register: http://www.ets.org/praxis/register The test is only offered in computer-based format.
- Testing Bulletin: http://www.ets.org/praxis/about/bulletin/
- The Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) Test is offered only as a computer based test.
- There are three required sections: Reading (#5712), Math (#5732), and Writing (#5722) or the combined test (#5751)
- Required Core passing scores are: Reading = 156 , Mathematics = 150, Writing = 162, or combined Score of 468.
- Required passing scores for Praxis I are: Reading = 176 , Mathematics = 173, Writing = 173, or combined Score of 522. Note that the Praxis 1 is no longer offered after August 2014. Students are urged to take the Praxis Core, since scores from the Praxis 1 and Praxis Core cannot be combined.
- Students should plan to take the Praxis Core before the end of first semester of sophomore year.
- Transfer students should plan to take the Praxis Core prior to enrolling at UNCW or early in the first semester at UNCW.
- Test re-takes: An examinee may take each part of the Praxis Core test once every 21 consecutive days. This policy applies even if the examinee canceled the scores on a test taken previously. A student can take each part of the test a maximum of six times in a twelve month period.
- Read about the structure and content at: http://www.ets.org/praxis/about/core/content/
- Make use of the study plans, practice questions and testing strategies for each sections:
- Study Guides/Practice Books: Available in the UNCW bookstore, websites (such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble), and through the UNCW Library Reserves Area.
- Sign up for a test at http://www.ets.org/praxis/register
- Local testing centers include: UNCW (weekdays) and Sylvan Learning Center (weekdays & weekends).
- Plan and register in advance. Testing dates and times are limited and need to be arranged 2-3 months in advance. See http://www.ets.org/praxis/register/centers_dates/computer for testing windows.
- Pay at the time of registration. Fees: http://www.ets.org/praxis/about/fees/
- Fee waiver eligibility and application information can be found at: http://www.ets.org/praxis/about/fees/fee_waivers/
- Allow 4-6 weeks (minimum) for official test scores to arrive at the Watson College of Education.
- Be sure to code UNCW as a score recipient even if you take the test at the UNCW testing center. We are listed as "Univ North Carolina Wilmington" and are score recipient #5907.
- Accommodations can be made for students by special request.
- For test takers with a disability: http://www.ets.org/praxis/register/disabilities
- For test takers whose primary language is not English: http://www.ets.org/praxis/register/accommodations/plne
- Fee Waiver- if you are receiving Financial Aid and are enrolled in the university, you may be eligible to receive a fee waiver, but you must apply with ETS well in advance. Fee waivers are only offered through ETS. See:
- Arrive at the test site at least 30-minutes prior to your test time. Late arrivals are not allowed to enter the testing room once the test has begun.
- Test takers must bring all appropriate and required materials to the test. This includes (but not limited to): 2 appropriate forms of picture ID, pencils, sweaters/coats, etc. The only calculator allowed is the online four-function calculator provided as part of the math testing software.
- Test takers are expected to be prepared and behave in a professional manner. UNCW will not tolerate inappropriate or unprofessional behavior by exam test takers.
- READ the Praxis Core test and structure material COMPLETELY before coming to take the test- it provides vital and useful information. See: http://www.ets.org/praxis/about/core/content/
- Be well-rested & eat before taking the exam, this allows you to concentrate on the test rather than your hunger and/or sleep.
- Scores are calculated by number of correct answers, with no deduction for incorrect answers. Be sure to answer all of the questions.
- Note that each section is timed, so work at an appropriate speed.