Watson College of Education
University of North Carolina
601 South College Road
Wilmington, NC 28403-5980
Welcome to the Leadership, Policy and Advocacy in Early Childhood Program
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) program includes a specialization in Educational Leadership, Policy, and Advocacy specifically in the area of early childhood. This specialization is an interdisciplinary program designed for people who work or wish to work as a leader in the field of family and child advocacy. Information in this degree supports the development of leadership skills to serve in positions within community, state, and national agencies, in both the public and private sector that focus on supporting the healthy development, growth, and education of families and children. This specialization provides a grounding in social, historical, philosophical, developmental, educational, and international perspectives of family and child advocacy. The specialization supports the Watson College of Education Conceptual Framework for developing highly competent professionals to serve in educational leadership roles.
The M.Ed. with specialization in educational leadership, policy, and advocacy, with an early childhood focus, prepares professionals with an interest in the early childhood field to take leadership roles in organizations that focus on improving the lives of families and children through the collaboration of public policy, community action, and educational support.
Upon completion of the M. Ed. in Educational Leadership, Policy, and Advocacy in Early Childhood, students will be able to:
- Understand the historical and contemporary social and political issues that affect families and children.
- Understand, support, and advocate for the positive and productive development, health, education and other needs of diverse families and children.
- Think and act critically as a member of a complex and global society with responsibilities for all citizens.
- Use data effectively for assessment and decision-making, including the design and evaluation of effective services and programs for families and children.
- Provide effective leadership in developing and changing organizations that support families and children.