Malawi Leadership, Service, Teaching, and Learning Study Abroad
Engage in participatory action research in schools with Malawian colleagues, during summer term and make a difference for a lifetime: your and theirs. Students can take 3 to 6 credit hours through this study abroad experience and should meet with their advisor to discuss whether these credit hours count towards their academic concentration in the teacher education programs.
Learn & Serve
Conduct projects on learning, teaching and leadership while interacting with internationally-recognized global leaders, educators, and learners in Malawi's public schools.
The experience entails:
- Experienced research faculty from UNCW mentor student participatory action research projects in schools
- Work in schools-community with students and teachers.
Explore Malawian Culture
- Annie's lodge, zomba (contact #001-265-1-527-002 firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Malawi Institute of Education;
- Domasi government, domasi demonstration & malemia primary schools,
- Malinka church: traditional singing, dancing incorporated into catholic liturgy
- Zomba market: tinsmiths, woodcarvers, fabric shops & tailors.
- Mvuu camp: river safari, afternoon & evening safari, morning guided walk.
- Liwonde wood carvers.
- Chifundo chatu orphanage served by annie fletcher & peter thompson of annie's lodge.
- Club makokola on lake malawi (contact # 001-265-1-580-772). Www.clubmak.com/lakemalawi.htm traditional dances by local villagers.
- Mua mission museum for overview of traditional cultures in southern malawi, unique mua style wood carving.
Discover Your Place in the World
Estimated Program Cost: $4,900
- In-country transport-to & from schools, etc.
- Required travel health insurance
Lodging & Porter Fees
- Annie's Lodge Zomba
- Mvuu Camp-hippo, elephants
- Club Mak on Lake Malawi
- Supplies for Working in the Schools
- Malinka Church
- Chifundo Chatu Orphanage
- Mua Mission
Other Costs not included in Program Costs
- Food & Bottled Water
- December 1, 2016 - $500 to OIP
- January 31, 2017 - $1,500
- February 28, 2017 - $1,500
- March 31, 2017 - $1,400
For information on the Malawi Experience Study Abroad contact:
Dr. Ann Potts
Dept. of Early Child Development, Elementary Education Middle Grades, Literacy, and Special Education
Watson College, EB 156
Dr. Liz Barber
Watson College of Education