- Placement Process
- Field Experience Courses and Requirements
- Placement Materials/School Calendars
- Contact Information
Field experience courses give WCE students the opportunity to gain experience in pre K-12 classroom settings. Requirements for these courses vary, and full descriptions of each field experience can be found in the Course Requirements section of this webpage. When you are enrolled in a field experience class, the Office of Professional Experiences provides your field experience placement. Please click here for a full explanation of the Field Experience Placement Process for Spring 2017.
Placement Process for Distance Education Programs:
WCE has several online programs and the distance education process for placements varies by program. General guidelines can be found in the following Field Experience and Internships for Distance Education packet. In order to be approved for an out of area placement, the Field Experience and Internships for Distance Education packet must be emailed to Dr. Ann Potts, Associate Dean for Teacher Education and Outreach, at email@example.com prior to the start of the academic semester. Please contact Dr. Potts at (910)962-4174 for more information.
Field experience students are responsible for reviewing and adhering to the field experience general expectations. Please also review the WCE professional dispositions for teacher candidates:
- Field Experience General Expectations
- WCE Professional Dispositions for Teacher Candidates
- WCE Field Experience Intervention Process
- Dismissal Process and Appeal
Please be aware that field experience placements are made only in partnership school systems. For a list of partnership systems and schools, please visit the PDS website.
- Go to http://uncw.edu/ and click on Current Students link
- Click on MySeaport link on left
- Log in to MySeaport and click on Academics Tab
- You will see Watson College of Education on the right side of the page
- Click Field Experience Application
- Complete form and click Submit*
*If changes occur in the information included on the application after the application is completed, the student should complete the application again with the updated information. All changes must be made prior to the application deadline.
Viewing placements on MySeaport:
- Follow first four steps under application instructions
- Click Field Experience & Internship Placements
Are you wondering which of your courses require field experience and what the requirements are for these courses? Please see the link below, which lists all field experience courses for this semester and a description of the requirements for these courses.
- Spring 2017 Field Experience and Tutoring Requirements - coming soon
- Fall 2016 Field Experience and Tutoring Requirements
- Spring 2016 Field Experience and Tutoring Requirements
- Field Experience Verification Log - should be turned in to instructor at conclusion of field experience
- Confidentiality Release Form - for use if requested by classroom teacher and/or principal
2016-2017 School System Calendars:
- Brunswick County
- Brunswick County Early College
- Camp Lejeune Schools
- Cape Fear Center for Inquiry
- Carteret County
- Clinton City Schools
- Columbus County
- Duplin County
- Isaac Bear Early College
- Island Montessori Charter School
- Jones County
- New Hanover County - Traditional
- New Hanover County - Year-round
- New Hanover County - Pre-K Centers
- Onslow County - Elementary and Middle
- Onslow County - Secondary
- Pender County
- Pender County Early College
- Sampson County
- Whiteville City
- Wilmington Early College
At the end of each fall and spring semester, the Office of Professional Experiences works with our school partners to distribute and collect field experience evaluations for students who completed field work in the public schools. This feedback is then shared with the Watson College course instructors and is used in the development of our students.
Students are responsible for following up with their field experience teachers to ensure that they received and submitted the electronic evaluation. Students are evaluated based on the criteria below:
- Evaluation criteria for all EYC, Elementary, Middle Grades, and Special Education field experience students
- Evaluation criteria for Elementary Block and Elementary MAT field experience students
- Evaluation criteria for all Secondary field experience students
Partnership Teachers: The electronic evaluation link is sent directly to the Site Coordinator at your school for distribution. Please contact Stephanie Glowa, Field Experience Coordinator, if you have any questions or need assistance with the evaluation. Thank you for taking the time to provide this very valuable feedback for our students.
Field Experience Coordinator