News & Events
Kayak Excursion: Water Quality
- Date: May 11, 2013
- Time: 2:00pm - 4:00pm
- Location: Watson School of Education
- Facilitators: Marty Sugerik, STAR Project Manager
- Description: Participants will explore the coastal waters to align science and math instruction to water quality. This session will lead participants to design and share potential activities to the elementary school.
STAR Program Showcased at Natonal Conference
- Date: May 29 - 31, 2013, Presentation May 30, 2013
- Location: Eighth Annual NSF Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program Conference, Hyatt Regency Hotel on Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
- Presenters: Claire H. Primrose
- Description: Students have different interests and different learning styles. There are many opportunities outside the classroom to enhance their interests and motivate them to explore topics. In an effort to raise the profile of education in our community and to help students see learning opportunities in new surroundings STAR candidates partnered with Kappa Delta Pi, the education honor society, to sponsor hands-on activities in the community. These activities were included in the MLK, Jr. Celebration Week Kid’s Day, the annual NC Azalea Festival Street Fair, UNC Wilmington’s Halloween Carnival and in a new “Little Free Library” to be dedicated at a local community center. The goal of these activities is to send children to school interested, engaged and ready to learn!