About the Program
What is the Teacher Cadet Program?
The NC Teacher Cadet program is an innovative, honors curriculum designed for talented high school juniors and seniors who are considering teaching as a profession. The course is designed to provide a better understanding of the dynamics of education as well as to create interest in the field. Through the program, students will develop their knowledge of content, planning, and application, while also strengthening their interpersonal, academic and leadership skills in the classroom. This will include real-world experiences in preschool, elementary, middle and high school settings.
What are the goals for the Teacher Cadet Partnership?
- Goal 1: Support Teacher Cadet Leaders in their goal of providing insight into the teaching career.
- Goal 2: Create and maintain the initiatives that support the goals of Teacher cadet groups.
- Goal 3: Provide educational opportunities for Teacher Cadet Students to experience UNC Wilmington and the Watson College of Education.
- Goal 4: To actively recruit underrepresented populations into the teaching profession.
Who are other partners involved in the Program?
The office of the Outreach Alliances Department, UNCW Admissions, Betty Holden Stike Education Laboratory, and the NC Teaching Fellows of UNCW’s Watson College of Education serve to support the partnership.
What are some advantages of the partnership?
- UNC Wilmington faculty/staff members support Teacher Cadet Leaders and students.
- UNC Wilmington faculty/staff members mentor Teacher Cadet Leaders.
- Faculty members from UNC Wilmington collaborate with partnership districts to ensure processes and systems are in place to recruit and develop a high performing staff.
- Current Watson College of Education students peer mentor and share experiences with Teacher Cadet Groups.
- The Betty Holden Stike Education Laboratory provides an environment rich with print and non-print media, manipulatives for math, and a wide variety of materials and supplies which invite learning.
- The partnership provides speakers for the Teacher Cadet classrooms.
- Invitations to educational opportunities hosted by the Watson College of Education.
The UNC Wilmington/ Teacher Cadet Partnership Program offers a variety of engaging and informative presentations for Teacher Cadet classes, Future Teachers of America clubs, and other relevant groups. Presentation topics for the 2012-2013 school year are listed below.
If you would like to schedule a speaker for your student group, please contact Mark Phelps at (910) 962-3974 .
- Classroom Management
- Working with Parents
- Working w/ parents & Community Outreach
- Working with Administrators
- Early Childhood Development
- Mock Interviews
- Have Cadets sit in on classes
- Tips for teaching Elementary
- Technology in the classroom
- Exceptional Children
- Cultural Diversity Workshop
- Games in education
- Global Connections
- What makes an effective teacher
- New Teacher Experience
- Teaching resources/Equipment for creating resources
- Developmental Differences in learners
- English as a Second Language
- Integrating the Arts into All Content Areas
- Empowering Lives through Literacy
- Preparing for a degree in Education
- Tips for teaching Secondary Science
- Tips for working with young adolescents / ..for teaching middle grades learners
- Transitioning Students with Disabilities to Life After High School
- Gifted and Talented Education
- The Experience of Beginning Teachers
- Technology in the Classroom
- Tips for Secondary Educators
- How to Motivate Your Students