Freeware, Shareware and Online Tools
The following products/services are offered as resources for free or online tools that you can use. We do not offer any support for these programs, however most of them come with help documents or forums to help you solve most problems. All of these services have tested and are considered safe to use.
Should you come across any more freeware tools that would be helpful, please send us an email and let us know! You can also browse the website Go2Web2.0, which lists thousands of online web 2.0 services.
- Ad-Aware - Real-time protection against spyware, trojans, rootkits, hijackers, keyloggers, and more!
- Malwarebytes - a variety of tools that can identify and remove malicious software from your computer.
- Microsoft Security Essentials - a free real-time Microsoft Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware and Anti-Malware software that is 'essential' for your protection.
- Audacity - Open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems
- Record MP3 - Oonline recording tool which allows you to download the MP3 file. No sign up.
- Croak It! - Online recording tool that allows you to record and share audio online. Cannot download the file.
- Vocaroo - Vocaroo is a service for recording voice messages and generating sharable files to post in your Blackboard course.
- Blogger.com - Blogging tool from Google!
- Wordpress - One of the most popular, free blog tools in use.
- Adobe Photoshop Express - Photoshop Express is Adobe's offering in the online editing arena. It is free but requires an account for you to use your own photos.
- GIMP - Freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
- Picasa - Photo editing software from Google that makes your pictures look great.
- Pixlr.com - Online photo editor that allows you to draw and create, as well as use cool filters and have online links.
- SumoPaint - Sumo Paint does more than just crop and rotate images. In addition to having layers, it has support for blending modes and other advanced layering like drop shadow and outer glow. Sumo Paint doesn't require a login for use, but if you sign up for a free account you can store images online
Charts & Infographics
- Venngage.com - Beautiful Infographic Templates & Designs. Choose from hundreds of professional templates for infographics, reports, posters, promotions and social media posts.
- Easel.ly - Create and share visual ideas using 1000's of Reporting, Timeline, Resume and Process templates
- Blender - Blender is the free open source 3D content creation suite, available for all major operating systems under the GNU General Public License.
- Google Sketch-Up - Free Google software that allows you to make 3d models
Movies, slideshows, motion graphics
- Animoto - Animoto automatically produces beautifully orchestrated, completely unique video pieces from your photos, video clips and music. Fast, free and shockingly easy.
- CamStudio - Freeware that records screen and audio activity on your computer to create industry-standard AVI video files. It also has a built-in SWF Producer that can turn AVI's into bandwidth-friendly Streaming Flash videos (SWFs)
- Jing - Instant screenshots and screencasts, hosted online that can be shared with others to view or access the file. Free version has a 5 minute recording limit.
- Photostory - Includes features that enable you to create a slideshow with your digital pictures, edit your pictures, create your story with original music, add narration, and share them with your family and friends.
- Prezi - Web based zooming presentation editor and storytelling tool that allows up to 100MB of online storage and uses a single screen instead of a slideshow.
- Sliderocket - Create online presentations that you can share securly through the internet.
- Windows Movie Maker - This program is installed on Windows XP machines automatically, but Windows Vista or Windows 7 clients will need to download the Live Movie Maker program. Comprehensive video editing with titles, music, fades, special effects and multiple export formats.
Surveys & Polling
- Poll Everywhere - Audience response system that uses mobile phones, twitter, and the internet. Responses are displayed in real-time. Restricted to 30 people or less.
- Kwik Surveys - Online survey tool with unlimited questions and results. Create forms and polls for free.
- SurveyMonkey - Create and publish online surveys in minutes and view results graphically and in real-time.
- Survey Anyplace - Use today's latest tech to create an awesome respondent experience. Students can get a free subscription for the Professional Plan by simply sending an email to email@example.com
- Oovoo - High quality video chat and video conferencing with up to 6 people.
- Skype - Group video calling in free beta version for up to 9 people.
- Tokbox - Group video conferencing with 2-200 people face to face. Free services are limited to 20 people. No download or installation.
- Google Sites - Free website development and hosting from Google.
- NVU - Free, open source software program that allows you to build websites and web pages using a simple WYSIWYG editor (what-you-see-is-what-you-get).
- Yola - Free, template based web development with LOTS of neat gadgets to use.
- Wikipedia Meta Wiki - Global community site for the Wikimedia Foundation's projects, and coordination and documentation of related projects. You can find links to all the Wikimedia resources here.
- Wikipedia Commons - Creative Commons licensing of images, music, videos, speeches, animations, paintings, etc., which means you can use them in your materials and presentations.
- Wikibooks - A community for creating a free library of educational textbooks that anyone can edit.
- Wikiquote - Compendium of sourced quotations from notable people and creative works in every language, translations of non-English quotes, and links.
Word Processing and Office Suites
- Google Docs - Create documents, spreadsheets and presentations online. Share and collaborate in real time. Safely store and organize your work online or on your computer.
- Open Office - Open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.