October 16, 2012
2:00 pm – 4:00 pm. EB 162
Meeting called to order at 2:03
2. September 2012 minutes approved
3. Individual Reports
a. Chancellor Miller.
· General Administration Strategic Planning Process
o Emphasis on accountability, performance-based funding, decoupling certification
o There’s a very tight deadline. Report due end of January
o President Ross has expanded faculty representation
· New legislative session starts in January.
o Working on relevant aspects of budget. Ask Charles Maimone for more details.
· In process of review of Marine Science. Part of state-wide review.
· New Executive Director of University Relations Janine Iamuno introduced.
· Board of Trustees meets next week. Last year BOT did self-study of process. As a result, they will be changing meeting structure.
o Opportunity to interact with University on issues such as GA Strategic Planning
o 6 possible changes in composition of Board of Trustees
o We’re hosting a number of alumni events in places such as Charlotte and Washington, D.C.
Question: What kind of person are you looking for to fill
position of Board of Trustees
Aspects such as ties to university, geographical concerns, abilities to contribute ideas.
b. President of the Senate Lugo.
· Faculty Assembly update
· Strategic Plan
o More faculty input being incorporated
o Articulation issues. Compliance issues need to be addressed. UNCW continues to work on transfer credit issues
o Student success and performance model
o Shared Governance: Faculty Assembly has asked President Ross to reaffirm shared governance document. Still waiting for a response
o University Studies transfer credit clarification for Year 2012-13
· Small things that make a difference
o Booklists – Be mindful that sending booklists to the bookstore is helpful for staff who otherwise do not get the books costs covered by staff scholarship.
o Clocks during tests. Please provide time updates, since many students depend on mobile devices, but these aren’t allowed during exams in many classrooms.
o Faculty absences. Refer to policy. Please send out class email.
· Academic Partnerships. Referred to Academic Standards Committee
· SPOTs. Evaluation Committee hard at work looking at other models. Current process unsustainable.
4. Committee Reports
a. The Steering Committee offers the following motions:
That the senate endorse the following Strategic Plan Resolution [Alternate Motion]
[Motion 2012-10-M01 passed with majority]:
That Article III.A.2 and Appendix B.1 of the senate bylaws be amended by indicating that the Vice President of the senate will also serve as the elections officer.
[Motion 2012-10-M02 passes unanimously]
b. The University Curriculum Committee offers the following motions:
CHHS program changes. CLS Pre-Requisites, CHHS prefix
o Concerns that curriculum is being watered down
o Clinical Research program is more a management position than a scientific position at undergraduate level.
Current curriculum suggests problem with four-year graduation
rates. Attempt to address community partner concerns.
[Motion 2012-10-M03 motion passes unanimously]:
c. The Budget Committee offers the following motion:
· [Motion 2012-10-M04] That a tuition increase of 4.3 % to 4.6% for 2012-2113 be assessed to be used for a requested faculty salary increase of 2%.
o Budget committee discussion
o Budget: 80th percentile report
o Amendment: In view of the erosion of continued state support for the University of North Carolina that a tuition increase of the necessary amount for 2013-2014 be assessed to be used for a requested faculty salary increase of 2%.
o Amended language passes 24-21.
o Clarification: Administration
o [Motion 2012-10-M04 as amended, passes]
5. Old Business
6. New Business
· Applied Learning and Teaching Community Events