The Application Process
APPLICATION DEADLINES are: June 1 for the Fall semester; November 1 for Spring; March 1 for Summer semesters.
Early applicants are given priority over those who submit after the stated deadlines. Late applications are considered, so you can still miss the deadline and apply, although that is not recommended.
Please do not directly contact an internship site that is listed on our website. You are encouraged to find new agencies on your own, suited to your interests in film. If you find a new site you would like to work with, contact Terry Linehan for approval.
Terry will submit your application to the agencies on your behalf.
Once your internship has been confirmed by the agency (usually after
your interview with the agency) Terry will submit your “Permission to
form to the Dean and your FST 498 Internship will be added to your schedule. Internships are THREE credit hours per semester and must be paid for as you would any class. A maximum of SIX credits are given for internships. You may apply for THREE additional internship credits with permission from the Chair.
You are encouraged to contact Terry regarding the status of your application. However, most agencies do not approve internships until about a month or less prior to the start of any semester. Please have patience.
STEPS IN APPLYING FOR AN INTERNSHIP
**PLEASE NOTE: If ALL steps are not followed properly, or if your application is incomplete, you will NOT be accepted for an internship.
- Fill it out.
- Sign it.
- Attach your most recent degree audit.
- Attach a current resume. If you do not have a resume, please visit Career Center for assistance. Call 910.962.3174 or stop by their office in the Fisher University Union 2035.
- Email your resume as a .PDF to: linehant (at uncw.edu)
3) Download the Permission to Enroll in Experiential Education Form. Fill out your personal information ONLY.
- SIGN UNDER "STUDENT'S SIGNATURE" in the second block.
- Print both pages.
4) Turn in both forms and supporting documents to Terry Linehan's mailbox in the Film Studies
office on or before the stated deadline. If you turn in forms late,
you may hurt your chances of getting your first choice of internship
sites. DO NOT USE STAPLES. Use a paper clip.
5) An internship is a class. You must PAY for all credits earned or your internship will be cancelled.
6) You must read, understand, and agree to the "Internship Expectations" listed on the main Internship page under "Essential Information".
Internships may be continued after graduation, even if you have completed nine undergraduate internship credits, by re-enrolling at UNCW through the Registrar's Office.