Most university film programs segregate cinema study and motion picture production. What distinguishes Film Studies at UNCW is the belief that a comprehensive knowledge of film history, theory, and analysis enriches the creative filmmaking process, and that film scholarship benefits from an understanding of how filmmakers conceive, develop, and realize their vision.
- Film Studies majors perform substantial work in both critical studies and film production.
- Film Studies majors produce over 500 motion pictures each year in every creative filmmaking mode: narrative, documentary, experimental, and animation.
- Film Studies majors edit the internationally distributed journal Film Matters.
- Film Studies majors plan, curate, present and host Visions, an annual international film festival and conference.
- Film Studies majors curate, introduce, and write program notes for FST sponsored film events, including the Mantra Bollywood Film Series.
- Film Studies majors participate in film production and publishing internships in Wilmington, New York, Los Angeles, and Great Britain.