Internship Enrollment Forms due to Dean Moore:
Spring 2015 : January 16, 2015
Check out our internship sites here.
SAF paid summer internship applications due February 4, 2015.
Paid Summer Internship info here.
FRH/GER/SPN 498: Internship in French/German/Spanish
The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures has agreements with several agencies in the region to receive student interns who are French, German, or Spanish majors. This arrangement provides a valuable program of work and study that affords the student practical experience involving observation and application of foreign language.
Students interested in working as interns for academic credit in French, German, or Spanish must meet the following requirements:
- have at least junior standing
- have satisfactorily completed at least 12 hours of course work at the 300-
and/or 400-level in French, German, or Spanish
The components of the internship are as follows:
- Interns must volunteer a minimum of 75 hours per semester (including during summer sessions) at the internship site. These hours must be verified, documented, and evaluated by the internship site supervisor.
- Interns must reflect on their internship experience on a regular basis. This reflection can take the form of journal entries, blog entries, or voice board posts. Students must complete at least 10 reflections during the internship experience and the reflections should be in the foreign language.
- Interns must complete a final research project that can be related to the internship experience and to the services offered by the internship site. The project includes an annotated bibliography with at least 5 sources, using MLA format, and a 5 - 7 page research paper, both in the foreign language.
All of the above components must be met in order for the intern to
receive academic credit for this experience.
How to get started:
- Read over the information contained on this webpage.
- Select an internship site (have at least one alternate in case your first choice is full).
- Select a French/German/Spanish professor to serve as your internship professor.
- Contact the FLL Internship Advisor (Prof. Boomershine) to discuss your internship plan (by email, phone, appointment).
- Complete the Internship Enrollment Form and get all necessary
signatures by the deadline, which is two business days before the add/drop
deadline. You must get the first three signatures before getting the remaining signatures:
- Faculty Supervisor
- Agency Supervisor
- FLL Internship Coordinator
- FLL Department Chair
- Dean (Dr. Kemille Moore, Bear Hall)
- Once you submit the paperwork and are approved, the registrar's office will enroll you in FRH/GER/SPN 498. You cannot register for the internship using SeaNet.
- Enjoy using your foreign language while interacting with members of the community!
- Upon completion of your internship hours, submit them to UNCW's Engagement Hours Reporting System.
*If there is an agency that you would like to recommend as an Internship Site, please provide Prof. Boomershine with the contact information for that agency.
- The completed and signed Internship Enrollment Form is due to Dean Moore's office (Bear Hall) two business days before the add/drop deadline each semester. Spring 2015: January 16, 2015
- You can only count either FRH/GER/SPN 498 (internship) or FRH/GER/SPN 491
(DIS) toward the French/German/Spanish major. If you complete both, one will
count toward the major and the other will count as elective credit.
For Students and Faculty Supervisors:
- Internship Enrollment Form
- Internship Site List
- Hour Log Sheet
- UNCW Internship Website
- Internship Liability Insurance
- Grade Information
- UNCW Engagement Hours Reporting System
For Site Supervisors:
For more information, contact the Foreign Languages and Literatures
Dr. Michelle Scatton-Tessier
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
275 Leutze hall