Rights and Responsibilities
The staff of the UNCW Student Health Center recognizes the partnership we have with our students. Our goal is to carry out this partnership in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect; therefore we subscribe
Students have the right:
- To reasonable access to care all students, without regard to race, religion, creed, age, gender, disability, national origin, or sexual orientation.
- To considerate care which respects individual needs, values, and beliefs.
- To reasonable access to care within our mission and scope of care.
- To information about diagnosis and treatment.
- To know the identity and professional status of the provider.
- To personal privacy and confidentiality of information.
- To informed participation in decisions regarding care, including discussion of ethical issues.
- To accept or refuse care and to be informed of the medical consequences of refusal.
- To be informed of research and educational projects affecting care or treatment and to agree or decline to participate in such activities.
- To approve or refuse release of information, except as required by law.
- To supportive care when terminally ill.
- To present concerns and complaints and to receive a response.
Students have the responsibility:
- To ensure that expression of cultural and spiritual needs does not interfere with the well-being of others.
- To report whether he/she clearly comprehends the plan of treatment and what is expected of him/her.
- To express any concerns about plan of care and ability to follow it.
- To follow the treatment plan.
- To understand the consequences of not following the treatment plan.
- To accept the responsibility for refusing treatment.
- To present any significant concerns to the provider or other Health Center representative.
- To report unexpected changes in condition to the provider.
- To keep appointments, or if unable, to inform the Health Center staff.
- To respond to Health Center requests for feedback and evaluation of care provided.
- To respect the rights and property of patients and staff.
- To fulfill financial obligations.