The Office of Internal Audit is an independent activity reporting functionally to the Board of Trustees and administratively to the Chancellor or the Chancellor's designee. Our role is to determine if UNCW's risk management, control, and governance processes are adequate and functioning in a manner to ensure:
- Risks are appropriately identified and managed.
- Interaction with the various governance groups occurs as needed.
- Significant financial, managerial, and operating information is accurate, reliable, and timely.
- Employees’ actions are in compliance with policies, standards, procedures, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Resources are acquired economically, used efficiently, and adequately protected.
- Programs, plans, and objectives are achieved.
- Quality and continuous improvements are fostered in the university’s control process.
- Significant legislative or regulatory issues impacting the university are recognized and addressed appropriately.
- Accountability, integrity and efficiency within the university are maintained.
To accomplish our goals, we provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services, and audits provide a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the university's operations.