T. T. Hamilton (1900-89)President
Principal of New Hanover High School, Thomas Tristram Hamilton Jr. was on the committee that helped found Wilmington College, which operated until 1958 as a unit of New Hanover County Board of Education.
He was named president of Wilmington College in 1947, when classes were held in Isaac Bear Building on Market Street, across from New Hanover High School. The doors of the new college opened at 4 p.m. Sept. 4, 1947, with 238 students, the majority of whom were veterans. The first associate of arts degree was awarded to Hugh Fox on April 2, 1949; a total of 14 degrees were awarded that year.
During Hamilton’s tenure, the college became accredited by the North Carolina Conference and the State Department of Education and joined the American Association of Junior Colleges.
Hamilton left Wilmington College to become director of secondary education for the state of Virginia. He passed away Dec. 13, 1989. In honor of his service to the institution, the UNCW Board of Trustees named a street on campus for Hamilton.