International Student Newsletter
February 24, 2012
International Programs Office
International Programs Office
International Student Photo Contest - $100 Grand Prize
We want your photos! The Office of International Programs is sponsoring an
International Student Photo contest. The two categories are
"Student Life" (people) and "Road Trip" (places). Submission
guidelines are listed below:
- Photos must have been taken during your time in the US
- To submit your photos, email them to Amy Mabery. (Your identifying info will be removed before they are submitted to the judges)
- Limit 3 entries per category
- Each entry must include:
- your name
- title of photo
- Deadline - Entries must be submitted by midnight, Sunday,
April 1 (in time for Spring Break photos!)
- Eligibility - the contest is open to all UNCW International
- All entrants grant an irrevocable license to OIP
Travel Signature Needed to Re-enter the U.S.
- As a reminder,
if you plan on exiting the US during Spring Break, to re-enter the US, you will need to have with you:
- Passport, valid at least 6 months into the future
- DS-2019 or I-20, signed for travel within the last 12 months***
- J-1 visa or F-1 visa, unexpired
- Proof of having paid the I-901 SEVIS Fee
- An unofficial transcript (printed off SeaNet/SeaPort) and proof of financial support are not required, but are good to have in case the immigration officer asks to see them
If your DS-2019 or I-20 has not been signed for travel
validation in the past year, you will need to bring it to
International Programs so your international student adviser can
When leaving the US, be sure to give the airline back the I-94 card (the white card that should be stapled to your passport). You’ll get a new one when you re-enter the US.
All international students who received/earned income in the United States during 2011 are required to file a US tax return by April 17, 2012. To help you complete your tax return, International Programs is offering you free tax filing software, a $35 value. To obtain a license to use the tax software, email your international student adviser (F1's email Jen Fernandez-Villa, J1's email Amy Mabery).
Events and Deadlines
Share your opinion on beauty - lunch provided
Do you feel pressure to look a certain way? Join the discussion about body image and maintaining a healthy perspective over a nutritious lunch! To RSVP, email Courtney Simmons.
Lunch & Discussion: I <3 Me: Let’s talk body image
- Thursday, March 1 from 12-1:30
- Masonboro Island Room (FSC)
- Lunch will be provided
Discussion will include:
- What is a normal body?
- What influences body image in the UNCW community?
- Fit vs. Thin
- What are you trying to achieve at the gym?
- Do males struggle with their body image?
- How do beauty standards differ between cultures?
- How do you stay positive about your body when there are so many negative messages out there?
(This event is in honor of Eating Disorder and Body Image Awareness week from February 27-March 1)
International Day at Burgaw Middle School
Burgaw Middle School is scheduled to have an International Day for their students on March 7, 2012, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm. They are currently looking for students from other countries who will share the morning discussing their cultures. Each participant will be given a desk, chair and any other tool they might need to present their information, including transportation to and from the school. There will be six booths, each representing a different country. We ask that participants bring clothing, tools, books, etc. that will provide an insight into their country's traditions, agriculture, etc.. The only thing we request is that no food is brought. Their student population is predominantly on the lower end of the socioeconomic scale and have had very few opportunities, if any, to explore the world in which they live. As such, they would like to bring the world to them. If you are interested in helping their students discover their world, please email Karen D. Moorefield or call 910.274.1589.
Seahawk Adventures - upcoming trips
Are you looking for opportunities to get off campus and explore the natural attractions our area has to offer? If so, be sure to check out the trips planned by the Seahawk Adventures office!
Upcoming trips include:
- Spring Break Backpacking
- Spring Break Kayak
- Camp/Day Hiking
- and many more!