F-1 Extension of Stay

F-1 students may apply for an extension of stay if they need more time to complete their program as long as (1) the extension request is approved by their academic adviser and (2) they submit the extension request and sufficient proof of financial support to the OIP before the end date (item #5) on their current  I-20.  Extension requests can take up to one week to process—you will be emailed when your new I-20 is ready for pick up.

Note:  this procedure will extend your I-20 but not your visa stamp. If you have an expired visa stamp in your passport, it is ok to remain in the U.S. but the next time you travel outside of the U.S. and need to  re-enter, you will need to apply for a new visa stamp to enter the U.S.

To apply for an extension of stay, have your academic adviser complete the F-1 Student Extension of Program Request form and submit it along with proof of financial support to the OIP.

UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by:  J. Fernandez-Villa [ fernandezvillaj AT uncw DOT edu ]