Health Insurance Requirement

Unlike any other immigration category, the U.S. Department of State federally mandates all those in J-1 and J-2 status to carry health insurance coverage that meets Department of State minimums (below). To meet this requirement, UNCW has made available an injury and sickness insurance plan (PDF) for those on UNCW's visa sponsorship.   J-1s must make full payment for the entire period of coverage prior to the first day of their EV program. We will not accept alternative plans.

    For the 15/16 academic year, the cost of this coverage is:

    • $87.60/month for J-1 only,
    • $225.55/month for J-1 and children,
    • $382.45/month for J-1 and spouse,
    • $520.40/month for J-1, spouse and children.

Department of State minimums:

    • Medical insurance must cover the entire period of participation in the program.
    • Medical benefits must provide a minimum of $100,000 per accident or illness.
    • Medical evacuation must be covered in the amount of $50,000, minimum. (Medical evacuation is emergency medical transportation to the home country.)
    • Repatriation must be covered in the amount of $25,000, minimum. (In the unfortunate event of death, repatriation is the transportation of remains back to the home country.)
    • The deductible must not exceed $500 per accident or illness.

UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by:  J. Fernandez-Villa [ fernandezvillaj AT uncw DOT edu ]