On-Campus Departments Hiring International Students

International students on UNCW’s F1 or J1 visa sponsorship (i.e., students who have a form I-20 or DS-2019 issued by the Office of International Programs) can work on campus up to 20 hours a week during the regular semester and 40 hours during summer and winter break.

F-1 and J-1 students often work on campus as graduate assistants, tutors in the Learning Center, in the library, or any other unit of UNCW. If an F-1 or J-1 student has graduated from UNCW or has an expired immigration document, he is no longer eligible to work on campus.

F-1 and J-1 students complete the I-9 and related paperwork with the hiring unit and normally provide a foreign passport, I-20 or DS-2019 and I-94 card as documents that establish both identity and employment authorization (#5 on I-9).

J-1 students must obtain employment authorization from their International Student Adviser (in the Office of International Programs) before they begin employment.  F-1 students do not.

All students must meet with Charlie Ducker in Payroll before they begin working.  Make an appointment with Ms. Ducker by calling 910-962-7255. When meeting with Ms. Ducker, students must bring with them: Social Security card, visa stamp, passport, I-94, I-20 or DS-2019, local and foreign addresses and a voided check for direct deposit purposes.

Students who do not have an SSN should apply as early as possible as it can take several weeks for a Social Security card to be issued.  Students must meet with their International Student Adviser (in the Office of International Programs) before applying for an SSN.

UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by:  J. Fernandez-Villa [ fernandezvillaj AT uncw DOT edu ]