Check out the FAQs in AskTAC
Think you Have a Virus?
Antivirus for Students, Faculty & Staff
(for Personally-Owned Machines)
UNCW recommends the following FREE antivirus products for personally-owned (non-UNCW owned) machines:
- Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows and ClamXav for Macs
NOTE: The software on this page should not be installed on UNCW-owned machines. For UNCW-owned computers, contact the TAC for a computer consultant to install the appropriate software.
Before Downloading New Antivirus Software
If you currently have antivirus installed on your computer, including Norton / Symantec, you need to uninstall it before downloading the new antivirus.
- How to uninstall Norton / Symantec: http://bit.ly/1qBmN1T (Norton site)
For info on uninstalling a different antivirus, please contact the software provider or search online for instructions.
Download Security Essentials (Windows/PCs)
- Download Security Essentials (Microsoft site)
- NOTE for Windows 8 and Windows RT machines: You are already protected by Windows Defender. More details here (Microsoft site)
- Help and Support for Microsoft Security Essentials (Microsoft site)
Download Macintosh Antivirus
- Download ClamXav Antivirus from App Store or download from ClamXav site
- More on ClamXav (ClamXav site)
NOTE: For other viable options for Macs, please search the App Store.