Access FOPE Here
Spam Filter - Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE)
Microsoft's FOPE spam detection provides an aggressive approach to filtering out spam messages from UNCW email accounts.
FOPE Spam Filter FAQs
How do I access my FOPE spam filter?
- Go to https://spam.uncw.edu
- First time users:
- Your user name is your full UNCW email address (including @uncw.edu).
- Click the “Need your password?” link on the opening window.
- Enter your UNCW email address (including @uncw.edu) and click “Send.”
- You will be sent an email confirming your account and prompting you to set up a password (NOTE: Your password is not tied to your UNCW email account. We recommend that you do not use your UNCW password.
Will my FOPE password change when my UNCW email account password changes?
- No, the password you set up is not tied to your UNCW email account password. (NOTE: We recommend that you do not use your UNCW password for your FOPE password.)
What if I forget my FOPE password?
- If you forget your password you can reset it from the FOPE login page (https://spam.uncw.edu) by clicking on “change password.”
Why is there so little mail in my Spam Quarantine? Is FOPE not working?
FOPE performs spam filtering in two stages, blocking most spam at the network edge with reputation filtering and then scanning messages using content-based rules (which detect many additional email threats). These methods block most spam before it ever gets to your quarantine. FOPE does, however, allow some “bulk email” (a.k.a., junk mail) messages in. (Junk mail messages typically include email newsletters, advertisements, and marketing messages from vendors and companies.) Note: our former spam filter, Proofpoint, allowed known spam into the quarantine; thus it appeared that more spam was being blocked.
What should I do with junk mail that I don't want in my Inbox?
Most of the junk mail messages in your Inbox are legitimate messages from reputable companies/vendors (not spam messages from unknown sources trying to obtain your personal information). You may unsubscribe from legitimate sources by choosing “unsubscribe” from the message. Do not provide any passwords or personal information when unsubscribing.
Why did I get this junk mail message? I never subscribed to anything from this vendor.
When signing up for conferences and newsletters or visiting various websites for information, there is often a statement in the terms and conditions which states that by signing up you are allowing the company/vendor to share your email address with affiliates, vendors, partners and others. While you may not have directly signed up for information, you may still receive email from these vendors/companies.
How does Microsoft (FOPE) define spam?
Within the FOPE product, the term spam refers to a message that is unsolicited and unwanted. No spam filter is perfect, and occasionally FOPE will allow a message that might be considered spam to be delivered to an inbox. Thus, Microsoft provides a way for users to notify them if a message was incorrectly classified. (See next FAQ)
Can I report spam directly to Microsoft?
Yes. To report spam directly to Microsoft, please take the following steps:
- Create a new, blank message and add the spam message as an attachment.
- Copy and paste the original spam message subject line into the new message subject line. Important: Leave the body of the new message empty
- Send your new message to email@example.com.
How can I add a person to my Safe Senders or Blocked Senders lists?
- You can manually add, edit or delete entries to your Safe Senders list and your Blocked Senders list from within Outlook Web Access (OWA) by doing the following:
- Log into OWA with your UNCW email address and password at https://mail.uncw.edu.
- Click "Options" in the top right of the page.
- Click "Junk E-Mail" on the left side of the page.
- From here you can "Add" individual email addresses to either the "Save Senders" or "Blocked Senders" lists.
- Click "Save.
- Note: Changes may take up to two hours to take effect.
What options do I have once I log into FOPE?
- Once you log in to FOPE at https://spam.uncw.edu, you may:
- View messages in your quarantine.
- Move messages from your quarantine to your UNCW email inbox.
- Mark messages as “not junk,” which will also move those messages to your UNCW inbox.
- Delete messages from your quarantine.
- Search the quarantine for messages based on either the “Subject” or “Sender.”
- Also, under “Options” you may:
- Change your language from the default “English.”
- Change how many messages you can view per page (the default is 100).
- Turn off the notification message that is turned on for the whole campus by default.
How often will I receive email digest notifications?
- You will receive email digest notifications every three days alerting you about your quarantined spam.
I don’t want to receive the digest notifications in my email. How do I turn this feature off?
- Log into your FOPE account at https://spam.uncw.edu
- Click “Options” in the top right of the page.
- Uncheck the “Send Notification” option.
- Click “Save.”
Where can I find more information on FOPE?
- For more in-depth information on FOPE, please see our FOPE user guide (PDF).