Center for Marine Science
5600 Marvin K. Moss Lane
Wilmington, North Carolina 28409
Coordinator of Business Operations
Printable brochure (pdf)
In addition to being a research facility designed by scientists for scientists, the MARBIONC facility allows tenants to work in a setting that provides university researchers and entrepreneurs the opportunity to trade ideas and spur potential collaboration.
Tenants at the MARBIONC research facility have direct access to IT services, a machine shop that offers custom fabrication and consultation with more than 80 Ph.D. level scientists. The on-site services include biological screening, nutrient analysis, analytical services, synthetic chemists, nuclear magnetic resonance, and stable isotope spectroscopy.
The following unique core facilities are available on-site:
DNA Sequencing Core Facility
- Standard DNA sequencing and fragment analysis
- The Core has an Applied Biosystems 3130xl Genetic Analyzer that is used for standard DNA sequencing and DNA fragment sizing analyses. Instrument ready reactions can be loaded and run by trained and approved personnel.
- Next Generation DNA sequencing
- The Core has a Roche GS Junior System that is capable of sequencing complete prokaryotic genomes and eukaryotic transcriptomes.
- Real-time PCR
- The Core has an Applied Biosystems 7500 Real-Time PCR instrument. Instrument ready reactions can be loaded and run by trained and approved personnel.
Nutrient Analysis Core Facility
The Nutrient Analysis laboratory houses six main instruments:
4 channel Bran+Luebbe AutoAnalyzer III
|multi-channel continuous flow analyzer that is capable of simultaneously measuring up to four parameters from an individual sample|
Shimadzu TOC 5050 and Antek 9000N
|run in tandem to analyze dissolved organic and inorganic carbon and total dissolved nitrogen, respectively, in water samples|
CE Elantech NC2100
|uses high temperature catalytic oxidation to measure percent carbon and nitrogen in solid samples such as plankton cells or sediments|
Turner 10AU fluorometer
|versatile instrument that can be used to measure chlorophyll either in the laboratory or in the field|
Shimadzu UV 1601 Spectrophotometer
|dual beam, research grade spectrophotometer that can be operated manually or with a computer equipped with kinetic and other software packages|
Spectroscopy Core Facility
- Bruker Avance 500MHz NMR equipped with several probes including a 5mm Z gradient BBO probe (mainly for 13C spectra), and 5mm, 1.7mm, and 1mm Z-gradient TXI probes (for 1H and 13C spectra). This instrument can generate 1D as well as other multidimensional spectra such as COSY, TOCSY, HSQC, HMBC, and HSQC-TOCSY.
- 2 single-quadrapole Waters Micromass ZQ spectrometers both equipped with ESI (electrospray inonization) probes.
- 1 triple-quadrupole TOF (Time-of Flight) instrument for HRMS (High Resolution Mass Spectra) experiments.
- 1 triple-quadrupole Ion Trap instrument (for MSn experiments
Other Core Facilities available:
- Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry Core Facility
- Oceanographic Instrumentation Core Facility
- Running Seawater Core Facility
- Ships and Small Boats Core Facility