Will be available Fall 2014 for Summer 2015
Cancellation Policy | PDF
Coast trek Brochure
Coast Trek | PDF
The MarineQuest staff is more than happy to pick-up and drop-off students at Wilmington International Airport at no cost. An airline request form is required (see above link for more details).
• Linens are provided - DO NOT bring sheets, pillows, and blankets.
• Laundry facilities are available at no cost - bring detergent
• No electronic equipment (other than cell phones) is allowed.
• What to Bring/Wear | PDF
Coast Trek: Ages 10-12
Must have completed 4th grade and turn 10 by June 1st
Join MarineQuest as we travel back in time to the age of giant prehistoric sharks and discover how North Carolina’s coast has changed over the years. While time traveling through our coastal habitats back to the future, Trekkies will use the tools of oceanography, meteorology and paleontology to experience first-hand how hurricanes and other forces of nature have created the coastline that we see today. Discover some of the key marine organisms inhabiting our coastal waters and learn about the importance of our coastline for sustainable fisheries.
Field excursions include:
- Going to the beach, marsh, fouling station, coquina outcrop, Cape Fear River, fossil quarry, NOAA weather station, local TV station, Snow’s Cut, and Center for Marine Science.
- Travel by boat to a barrier island; go kayaking; participate in boogie board oceanography; use shallow water snorkeling to observe coastal erosion; improve your map skills; learn how to use GPS to make a beach profile and mapping marine debris; take core samples for geologic analysis; use weather instruments; build a model wind turbine and wave machine; try surf fishing; each week will focus on a different marine species including whales, sea turtles, sharks, flounder, etc... and their interaction with the physical environment.
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Sunday / Monday - Friday|
8 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Pick up on Friday is at 12:30 p.m.
Staff / Child Ratio:
|Location:||UNCW Campus - drop off at Isaac Bear parking lot|
|Summer 2015 Dates:||TBD, Will be posted Fall 2014|
|Residential students must arrive on Sunday at 3 p.m. while commuting students join the program Monday at 8 a.m.|
|Commuter Tuition:||TBD, Will be posted Fall 2014|
|Residential Tuition:||TBD, Will be posted Fall 2014|
You must register by 5:00pm the Tuesday before your program is to begin.
To complete the teacher recommendation, please have your teacher click here to submit their teacher recommendation.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the final step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest