Ocean Lab & Ocean CHEMystery Employment
Instructors (2 positions)
Ocean Lab and Ocean CheMystery instructors will lead Ocean Lab throughout the summer with a special week of Ocean CHEMystery. As an Ocean Lab instructor you will help educate our up and coming marine scientists in the fields of chemical, physical, geological and biological oceanography. As a Ocean CheMystery instructor you will help students discover the underlying chemical basis for some of the ocean's most mysterious
environmental challenges. Programs include an ocean research cruises and daily field trips to the beach, marsh, fouling station, Center for Marine Science, NC Aquarium and other marine facilities.
Student Ages 13 - 14 (15-17 for Ocean CHEMystery)
- Provide “hands-on, feet-wet” instruction for campers age 13-14 and 15-17
- Supervise campers on land and water (including on boats), in classroom, in the field, and during lunch
- Provide first aid to campers
- Behavior management
- General clean up and maintenance of camp
- Transport campers in 15-passenger vans safely
- Must be at least 21 and have a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to lead and participate in demanding outdoor learning experiences (rain or shine)
- Must have strong oral communication skills to communicate effectively with campers, parents, and staff
- Must demonstrate initiative and leadership qualities
- Must have previous experience and desire to work with teens
- Knowledgeable in all of four major fields of marine science, plus familiarity with more recent areas of marine technology and biotechnology
- Preference is for candidates who have already completed a bachelor’s degree and/or working on a masters degree in a field of study related to the marine sciences. Minimum requirement is three years towards a bachelor’s degree in a field of study related to the marine sciences.
- Knowledge of local marine habitats, boating and kayaking experience are all a plus
- CPR/First Aid is required (must be obtained by June 14, 2014)
- Lifeguard Certification is preferred (may be obtained by June 14, 2014; MarineQuest may attempt to organize an American Red Cross class before staff training begins. Cost would be approximately $250.00. If interested in this option, please contact Sue Kezios); however we encourage you to pursue alternate certification options.
Terms of Employment:
- June 16 through August 1, Monday through Friday (possible one week extension dependent on camp attendance)
- Training during the weeks of June 6 through June 13
- Average work week is 40 hours from 7:45am-4:15pm Monday-Thursday, and 7:45am-1:45pm Friday.
- Pay rate starts at $9.00/hr, dependent on qualifications
- Employment is subject to a criminal and Homeland Security background check
To apply please visit the online application and click on "search positions" then click on "search" (leave all fields blank) then click on "MarineQuest Summer Camp Instructor/Counselor" to submit an application for the position(s) you are applying for.