MarineQuest Main Line
Ocean-17 In the News
Oceans-17 was featured in the UNCW Research Magazine. Read all about it here.
Cancellation Policy | PDF
PADI Medical Statement | PDF
Diving Policies | PDF
Oceans-17 | PDF
The MarineQuest staff is more than happy to pick-up and drop-off students at
Wilmington International Airport at no cost. An airline request form is required
(see above link for more details).
• Linens are provided - DO NOT bring sheets, pillows, and blankets.
• Laundry facilities are available at no cost - bring detergent
• No electronic equipment (other than cell phones) is allowed.
• What to Bring/Wear | PDF
Oceans-17: Age 17*
Research and Service in Modern Marine Science
Must have completed 10th grade and be 17 by June 1st. May not turn 18 before July 31st. Students who have completed the OCEANS program and are not yet 17 may apply.
Oceans-17 provides serious marine science enthusiasts with the chance to conduct lab and field based experimental research and participate in community service projects that benefit our marine environment. In addition to terrestrial and wetland studies, students will dive into the ocean and learn the ins and outs of scientific SCUBA in either an open water diver or advanced open water diver certification course. Students will use these new skills to collect and interpret data that supports current research being conducted by scientists at UNCW. In between their research students will enjoy kayaking, surfing, boogie boarding, boating, snorkeling and more...
New for Summer 2015 - a choice of evening activities specifically designed for highly motivated teen marine scientists-in-training.
Prerequisites: All students may apply regardless of their scuba diving experience (no prior experience required). Students will have a choice between an Open Water certification or an Advanced Open Water certification.(1) Students participating in the Advanced Diving certification must have an open water dive certification from a nationally recognized organization. (2) All students must obtain Divers Alert Network (DAN) insurance or equivalent diving coverage prior to program start date. (3) Ability to pass PADI swim test, including 10 minute float or tread in deep water and un-timed 200 meter/yard continuous surface swim.
Field excursions include:
- Ocean based research cruises; scuba diving trips (weather dependent) to offshore artificial reef shipwrecks; field trips to beaches, marshes, fouling station, rocky intertidal zone, marine technology facility, UNCW research labs, UNCW’s Center for Marine Science, Fort Fisher Aquarium and other marine facilities.
- Complete a research project and learn how to put a professional presentation together; complete a community service project that benefits the marine environment; interact with UNCW research scientists and professional divers; opportunities to earn either your open water or advanced diver certification (see session notes below). Enjoy six dives safely with an amazing 1:4 student to Dive Instructor/Master ratio providing personal attention and training tips; conduct field research using Vernier LabQuest hand-held data collectors, explore the field of marine biotechnology using gel electrophoresis and DNA studies, examine antifouling agents and their response to the environment, work with a professional ROV; explore the field of marine biotechnology; participate in fish community studies,and underwater transect analysis while snorkeling; analyze phytoplankton and chlorophyll data for a NOAA sponsored program, participate in boogie board oceanography; take a surf lesson; and more…
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Sunday - Friday (three-week program)|
|Friday pick-up and presentations begin at 12:30 p.m.|
Staff / Child Ratio:
|Scuba Diving Ratio:||1:4|
|Summer 2015 Dates:||
Session 2: July 12 - 31
(includes $600 dive fee)
* Tuition includes either a PADI open water or advanced open water dive certification and scuba equipment, wetsuit rental fees plus additional dives.
** Students will be responsible for bringing mask, snorkel and fins (may be purchased at program for a discounted rate through local dive shop ~ $175 package)
*** Students participating in (advanced open water) will also be required to have an underwater light for their night dive (may be purchased at program for a discounted rate through local dive shop).
You must register by 5:00pm the Tuesday before your program is to begin.
To complete the teacher recommendation, please have your teacher click here to submit their teacher recommendation.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the next step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest