Coastal Cruisers Instructors
Instructors (2 positions)
Apply Here: Online Job Application
Coastal Cruisers instructors will facilitate student discovery of coastal migratory species in this full day program. Species of interest include sea turtles, sharks, whales, dolphins, and birds. Knowledge of the life cycles of the species of interest, what stages migrate, and how they interact with the ocean is key. It is critical for this program that instructors have a passion and awareness of the critters that “cruise” the NC coast as well as the associated environmental policy. The program includes field trips to the beach, marsh, bird sanctuary, fouling station, Center for Marine Science and NC Aquarium. This is your chance to help students discover the beauty and excitement held within our coastal habitats.
Note: Throughout the summer we offer single gender camps for children. During those weeks, the instructors from Coastal Cruisers and Cape Crusaders will be selected to work with Sea Angels (girls) or Sea Devils (boys).
Student ages 7 - 9
- Provide “hands-on, feet-wet” instruction for campers age 7-9
- Supervise campers in classroom, in field, and during lunch
- Provide first aid to campers
- Behavior management
- General clean up and maintenance of camp
- Must be able to lead and participate in outdoor learning experiences (rain or shine)
- Must have strong oral communication skills to communicate effectively with campers, parents, and staff
- Must demonstrate initiative and leadership qualities
- Must have previous experience and desire to work with youth
- Preference is for candidates who have already completed a bachelors degree in a field of study related to the marine sciences. Minimum requirement is two years towards a bachelor’s degree in a field of study related to the marine sciences.
- Knowledge of local marine habitats is a plus
- CPR/First Aid is required (must be obtained by June 12, 2016)
- Lifeguard Certification is preferred (may be obtained by June 12, 2016; MarineQuest may attempt to organize an American Red Cross class before staff training begins. Cost would be approximately $250.00. If interested in this option, please contact Erin Moran); however we encourage you to pursue alternate certification options.
Terms of Employment:
- June 13 through August 5, Monday through Friday (possible one week extension dependent on camp attendance)
- Training during the weeks of June 5 through June 10
- Average work week is 40 hours from 7:45am-4:15pm Monday-Thursday, and 7:45am-1:45pm Friday.
- Pay rate starts at $8.50/hr, dependent on qualifications
Employment is subject to a criminal and Homeland Security background check