Cape Crusaders Employment
Instructors (2 positions)
Cape Crusaders instructors will help our youngest junior day program students earn their “super powers” to protect our marine environment. You will get students to join the MarineQuest CEPA (Coastal Environmental Protection Agency) and teach them how they can use their “super powers” to help defeat the Ten Most Wanted Villains of our marine environment. It is critical that instructors for this program have strong educational background in coastal ecology, standard field testing and analysis and environmental law/ policy (management). The program includes field trips to the beach, marsh, fouling station, coquina outcrop, Center for Marine Science, NC Aquarium, and Sea Turtle hospital.
Note: Throughout the summer we offer single gender camps for children. During those weeks, the instructors from Coastal Cruisers and Cape Crusaders will be selected to work with Sea Angels (girls) or Sea Devils (boys).
Student ages 7 - 10
- Provide “hands-on, feet-wet” instruction for campers age 7-10
- Supervise campers in classroom, in field, and during lunch
- Provide first aid to campers
- Behavior management
- General clean up and maintenance of camp
- Must be able to lead and participate in outdoor learning experiences (rain or shine)
- Must have strong oral communication skills to communicate effectively with campers, parents, and staff
- Must demonstrate initiative and leadership qualities
- Must have previous experience and desire to work with youth
- Preference is for candidates who have already completed a bachelors degree in a field of study related to the marine sciences. Minimum requirement is two years towards a degree in a field of study related to the marine sciences.
- Knowledge of local marine habitats is preferred
- Familiarity with environmental forensic techniques is a plus
- CPR/First Aid is required (must be obtained by June 14, 2015)
- Lifeguard Certification is preferred (may be obtained by June 14, 2015; MarineQuest may attempt to organize an American Red Cross class before staff training begins. Cost would be approximately $250.00. If interested in this option, please contact Erin Moran); however we encourage you to pursue alternate certification options.
Terms of Employment:
- June 15 through August 7, Monday through Friday (possible one week extension dependent on camp attendance)
- Training during the weeks of June 8 through June 13
- Average work week is 40 hours from 7:45am-4:15pm Monday-Thursday, and 7:45am-1:45pm Friday.
- Pay rate starts at $8.50/hr, dependent on qualifications
Employment is subject to a criminal and Homeland Security background check
|Cape Crusaders Website||Sea Devils Website||Sea Angels Website|
To apply please visit the online application and click on "search positions" then click on "search" (leave all fields blank) then click on "MarineQuest Summer Camp Instructor/Counselor" to submit an application for the position(s) you are applying for.