ArtSea's & Shore Shots Employment
Instructors (2 positions)
Have the opportunity to lead three age levels of MarineQuests artistic ArtSea program in one summer. Each "artsea" week alternate focus on a different age group and marine science theme. As an Artsea instructor you will help students focus on artistic techniques such as microscopic study and scientific illustration of phytoplankton; field
observation and sketching of marine wildlife; watercolor painting of coastal
landscapes; surf art; shell, beach glass and fossil collecting for jewelry;
graphic block printing, sand casting, wood carving, metal sculpting, glass work
and more. Students will gain
inspiration from the marine environment through field trips to various locations. With Shore Shots instructors will help provide students the opportunity to create a marine science themed PSA by designing, shooting, and editing original video footage.
Student ages: ArtSea (13 - 17), ArtSea Jr (9 - 12), ArtSea Mini (6 - 8), and Shore Shots (12-16)
- Provide “hands-on, feet-wet” instruction for campers age 6 - 17
- Supervise campers on land and water (including on boats), in classroom, in the field, and during lunch
- Provide first aid to campers
- General clean up and maintenance of camp
- Transport campers in 15-passenger vans safely
- Maintain art equipment and supplies
- Behavior management
- Must be at least 21 and have a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to lead and participate in demanding outdoor learning experiences (rain or shine)
- Must have strong oral communication skills to communicate effectively with campers, parents, and staff
- Must demonstrate initiative and leadership qualities
- Must have previous experience working with youth and a desire to work with younger kids, pre-teens and teens
- Preference is for candidates who have already completed a bachelors degree in a field of study such as art, communications, film, etc. Minimum requirement is three years towards a bachelor’s degree in a field of study.
- Previous experience working with different art media to help students develop a portfolio of marine inspired work strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of local marine habitats, boating and kayaking experience are all a plus
- CPR/First Aid is required (must be obtained by June 14, 2014)
- Lifeguard Certification is preferred (may be obtained by June 14, 2014; MarineQuest may attempt to organize an American Red Cross class before staff training begins. Cost would be approximately $250.00. If interested in this option, please contact Janie McAuliffe); however we encourage you to pursue alternate certification options.
Terms of Employment:
- June 27 through August 1, Monday through Friday (possible one week extension dependent on camp attendance)
- Training during the weeks of June 6 through June 13
- Average work week is 40 hours from 7:45am-4:15pm Monday-Thursday, and 7:45am-1:45pm Friday (ArtSea Mini week is a half-day program with an average of 23 hours).
- Pay rate starts at $8.50/hr, dependent on qualifications
- Employment is subject to a criminal and Homeland Security background check