Cancellation Policy | PDF
Climate Change Academy: Ages 14-17
Must have completed 8th grade and turn 14 by June 1st
Join MarineQuest as we explore the science behind the headlines of the controversial topic: Climate Change. Investigate how scientists collect data on climate conditions and research data from the past contained in (ice) cores and fossils. Participate in a CORMP research cruise to checkout an active buoy and discuss current methods in ocean monitoring with one of their scientist. Discover how climate change is impacting our coastline and the key species that migrate along it, including sea turtles and whales. Explore some of the more promising initiatives that scientists are employing to try and mitigate the impacts of climate change. Work in service learning teams to create public service announcements to share with the community on relevant topics such as sea level rise, ocean temperature fluctuations, ocean acidification, dead zones, food chains, or coral bleaching. This week is sure to be newsworthy!
Field excursions include:
- Going to the beach, salt marsh, ocean research cruise, Sea Turtle Hospital, and Center for Marine Science, and other marine facilities.
- Research cruise with trawl; beach profiling; kayaking; shallow water snorkeling; marsh seining; analyze water samples; tour sea turtle hospital; surfing lesson.
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Monday - Friday|
|8 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
P ick-up on Friday is at 12:30 p.m.
Staff / Child Ratio:
|Location:||UNCW Campus - Commuter drop off at Isaac Bear parking lot|
Summer 2014 Dates:
Session 1: Aug. 4 - 8 (commuter only)
You must register by 5:00pm the Tuesday before your program is to begin.
To complete the teacher recommendation, please have your teacher click here to submit their teacher recommendation.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the final step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest