If you have questions or inquiries regarding any MarineQuest scholarship you may contact the MarineQuest office via email only.
Phone inquiries regarding scholarships will not receive a response.
MarineQuest Scholarships Information
Through the generosity of area donors UNCW Youth Programs and MarineQuest are able to offer a limited number of full need-based scholarships and a limited number of partial merit-based scholarships. To determine if you qualify for one of our scholarships please read the information below.
A limited number of MarineQuest need-based scholarships are available for attendance in commuter programs only1 (daily drop-off and pick-up). To qualify, the camper must be 1) a citizen of the United States; or be a U.S. lawful permanent resident (or have applied for permanent residence, the application for which has not been denied) and intend to become a U.S. citizen at the earliest opportunity allowed by law 2) a North Carolina state resident and 3) able to demonstrate financial need (or at risk status) by one of the following means:
- A letter from your school system verifying the camper’s participation in a free or reduced lunch program
- Proof of housing assistance through HUD
- Proof of food stamp assistance
- Health coverage through Medicaid state agency
- A letter from your teacher or guidance counselor classifying student as an “at-risk youth”
If you meet both of the above required qualifications and would like to be considered for a need-based camp scholarship, you must submit the MarineQuest Need-based Scholarship Application along with one of the above mentioned documents required to demonstrate financial need to be put on our Summer 2013 Scholarship Wait-list2. Please note that all communication regarding scholarships will take place via email, fax or U.S. Mail service. No phone calls will be returned.
Once a camper is on the wait-list:
- Camper information will be kept in our scholarship database.
- Ten days prior to any camp start date we will determine the number of scholarship slots available and contact applicants on a first come first serve basis as listed in the database3.
- If selected for a scholarship participant must be immediately enrolled and follow all registration instructions provided to them at the time of selection. Failure to follow proper enrollment/registration instructions may result in loss of scholarship slot.
1Residential, leadership academy, scuba diving, and surfing based programs do not qualify for these scholarships
2This wait-list is not a guarantee of a secured slot in any MarineQuest camp.
3First come first serve is limited to one child per family. Requests for additional children within the same family will be considered only after all other requests are filled if an open slot still remains.
Merit-Based Scholarships Have Been Filled for Summer 2013
MarineQuest merit-based scholarships are available for attendance in O.C.E.A.N.S and Oceans-17 programs only. There will be two (2) $200 O.C.E.A.N.S scholarships and one (1) Oceans-17 $300 scholarships awarded. To qualify the student must meet the following minimum requirements, and submit the MarineQuest Summer 2013 Merit Scholarship Application. All applications must be complete and received no later than 8:00am March 15, 2013.
As a minimum the student must:
- Have at a 3.25 or higher GPA (on a 4.0 scale); and
- be enrolled in high school and progressing normally toward graduation or completion of high school; and
- be planning to enroll full time in college no later than the fall following completion of high school; and
- be a citizen of the United States; or be a U.S. lawful permanent resident (or have applied for permanent residence, the application for which has not been denied) and intend to become a U.S. citizen at the earliest opportunity allowed by law.
MarineQuest encourages you to explore external scholarship options which may assist in tuition fees for our wonderful programs. Below are links to some of these scholarships which are not associated or affiliated with MarineQuest:
Beneath The Sea (Scholarship deadlines include November 15 and January 15)