By Phone: 910/962.3195
What to Bring / Wear | PDF
Cancellation Policy | PDF
The MarineQuest staff is more than happy to pick-up and drop-off students at
Wilmington International Airport at no cost. An airline request form is required
(see above link for more details).
• Linens are not provided - bring XL twin sheets, pillows, and blankets.
• Laundry facilities are available at no cost - bring detergent
• No electronic equipment (other than cell phones) is allowed.
• What to Bring/Wear | PDF
Sea G.E.M.S: Girls Only Ages 13-15
Girls Exploring Marine Science - Leadership Academy
Must have completed 7th grade and turn 13 by June 1st
Swim in the wake of some truly inspirational marine scientists with Sea G.E.M.S. (Girls Exploring Marine Science) as you explore the contributions women have made to our understanding of the ocean. Discover their scientific achievements and learn how they have changed the way we explore the marine environment. Begin your own journey from bikini to wetsuit by participating in a research cruise, operating an ROV, investigating morphological and behavioral adaptations in marine life, and exploring Discover Scuba Diving (no prior experience necessary). Did you know female faculty, associates, and students at UNCW are actively conducting research on topics such as marine mammals, sea turtles, corals, antarctic penguins, deep sea ecology, sharks, and more–and include an original member of the all-woman aquanauts team who served on the Tektite II mission? Meet and learn from some of these ocean jewels with Sea G.E.M.S.!
Field excursions include:
- Ocean research cruise; Fantasy Lake SCUBA park; exploring coastal habitats; field trips to the beach, UNCW Center for Marine Science, and other marine facilities.
- Participate in a research cruise with trawl. Get real hands-on experience with some of the latest research tools such as Vernier probeware and data collectors. Try out diving by participating in a PADI Discover SCUBA diving course. Operate a Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) as you explore ocean technology. Learn how to map the ocean floor and analyze side scan sonar data. Develop skills and confidence in leadership roles. Discover the accomplishments of women in marine science. Meet inspirational female marine scientists.
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Sunday - Friday|
|Friday pick-up is at 1:00 p.m.|
Staff / Child Ratio:
|Scuba Diving Ratio:||1:4|
|Summer 2013 Dates:||
June 23 - 28 FULL!
|July 14 - 19 FULL!|
$750, before May 1; $795, after May 1
If you would like to pay in installments, please check out our Tuition Payment Schedule | PDF. Payment plan payments may be started online by paying deposit. Questions call 910.962.3195.
You must register by 5:00pm the Tuesday before your program is to begin.
To apply for Sea GEMS, you must complete the MarineQuest Summer Program Application. See the links below to begin your application process.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the final step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest