Surf-n-Science & TechnOcean Jr. Employment
Instructors (2 positions)
Get stoked for a "swell" summer of teaching the science behind surfing while your students rip it up on the big blue ocean with MarineQuest’s Surf-n-Science programs. Work along the side of professional surf instructors during the morning and then head out for an afternoon of marine science adventures where you will instruct students on discussions of coastal/shoreline issues, ocean chemistry and marine life. Programs weeks will be divided between Surf-n-Science Groms (ages 10 - 13) and Surf-n-Science (ages 14 - 17). With TechnOcean Jr. you will work to help students explore the exciting fields of marine technology and coastal environmental engineering. You will boat cruise to an undeveloped barrier island; explore coastal habitats by kayak; take field trips to the beach, marsh, fouling communities, Center for Marine Science, and other marine locations.
(Note: actual surfing instructions are led by Odysea Surf School staff, not MarineQuest staff).
Student ages 10 - 17 (dependent on program each week)
- Provide “hands-on, feet-wet” instruction for campers age 10-17
- Supervise campers on land and in water (including surfing), in classroom, in the field, and during lunch
- Provide first aid to campers
- General clean up and maintenance of camp
- Transport campers in 15-passenger vans safely
- Behavior management
- Ensure MarineQuest policies, safety expectations, and staffing ratios are carried out at all times
- Must be at least 21 and have a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to lead and participate in demanding outdoor learning experiences (rain or shine)
- Must have strong oral communication skills to communicate effectively with campers, parents, and staff
- Must demonstrate initiative and leadership qualities
- Must have previous experience and desire to work with pre-teens and teens
- Previous surfing experience a plus
- Must be comfortable working with campers in the water
- Preference is for candidates who have already completed a bachelors degree in a field of study related to the marine sciences. Minimum requirement is three years towards a bachelor’s degree in a field of study related to the marine sciences or education.
- Knowledge of local marine habitats, boating and kayaking experience are all a plus
- Knowledge of technology and/or marine technology a plus
- CPR/First Aid is required (must be obtained by June 14, 2014)
- Lifeguard Certification is strongly preferred (may be obtained by June 14, 2014; MarineQuest may attempt to organize an American Red Cross class before staff training begins. Cost would be approximately $250.00. If interested in this option, please contact Janie McAuliffe); however we encourage you to pursue alternate certification options.
Terms of Employment:
- June 16 through August 1, Monday through Friday (possible one week extension dependent on camp attendance)
- Training during the weeks of June 6 through June 13
- Average work week is 40 hours from 7:45am-4:15pm Monday-Thursday, and 7:45am-1:45pm Friday.
- Pay rate starts at $8.50/hr, dependent on qualifications
- Employment is subject to a criminal and Homeland Security background check
|TechnOcean Jr. Website||Surf-n-Science Groms Website|
To apply please visit the online application and click on "search positions" then click on "search" (leave all fields blank) then click on "MarineQuest Summer Camp Instructor/Counselor" to submit an application for the position(s) you are applying for.