Audition Requirements: Jazz
Winds: Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone
Perform at least one prepared piece (melody and improvisation) of your choice from the recommended repertoire below, as well as improvise on a blues in the concert key of Bb, F, or C. In addition, you will be asked to perform major scales and sight-read a short jazz excerpt.
Repertoire: Any blues by Charlie Parker (e.g., Now's the Time), Tenor Madness/Rollins, Blue Monk/Monk, Satin Doll/Ellington, Maiden Voyage/Hancock, Pent-Up House/Rollins, Take the A Train/Ellington, Summertime/Gershwin
Be able to play (melody and improvisation) two prepared pieces of contrasting style and improvise on a blues progression in the concert key of Bb, F, or C. In addition, you will be asked to perform major and minor scales, arpeggios, and to sight-read grand staff and chord charts.
Autumn Leaves, Blue Monk, Impressions, Maiden Voyage, Now's The Time, Satin Doll, Take the 'A' Train, Summertime
Jazz Bass applicants are required to demonstrate skills in a variety of styles including walking bass, latin/bossa nova, funk, and rock. Reading standard music notation is mandatory.
- Walking bass over standard blues changes in F, C, and G major.
- Play melody to Billies Bounce (parker) or Tenor Madness (rollins).
- Play bossa nova bassline over Blue Bossa (dorham)
- Play selection of auditioners choice.
Applicants must be prepared to perform the following:
- Play (with correct melody, chord changes and improvisation) at least one prepared piece (of your choice, from the recommended repertoire)
- Improvise on a jazz blues progression in the concert key of Bb, F, or C
- Play selected major and minor scales in two octaves
- Sight-read intermediate level music.
Autumn Leaves, Blue Monk, Blue Bossa, Maiden Voyage, Now's The Time, Satin Doll, Take the 'A'
Train, Summertime, Tenor Madness
Jazz drum set applicants will demonstrate a variety of styles applicable to the jazz idiom including:
- Medium Swing quarter = 110-130; Bossa Nova quarter = 130-150; Funk/Rock quarter = 90-110
- Optional: Ballad (w/ brushes) quarter = 65-80; Up-tempo Swing quarter = 220-250
Perform at least one prepared piece showcasing knowledge of the jazz idiom, including playing over a form, comping, and improvisation. Play-a-long recordings are encouraged including but not limited to the repertoire listed below. The audition will also include sight-reading within the context of a big band chart.
Selections from "The Art of Bop Drumming" (John Riley), full length charts from "The Jazz Drummer's Reading Workbook" (Tom Morgan), "Essential Styles, Vol. 1 & 2" (Steve Houghton and Tom Warrington), "The Drum Set Soloist" (Steve Houghton)