REPORTING AN INCIDENT OF HARASSMENT
If you are a student and have experienced harassment or you are a UNCW faculty/staff member who has been harassed by a student, you can submit a report to the Office of the Dean of Students by using this link:
HARASSMENT PREVENTION & RESPONSE OVERVIEW
- The university admonishes all acts of harassment on the UNCW campus and expects all UNCW community members and their guests to treat each other with dignity and respect, and to actively endorse the Seahawk Respect Compact.
- The university encourages reporting of all perceived incidents of harassment regardless of who the alleged offender may be.
- The university will respond promptly to all complaints of harassment by referring victims to support resources such as the Counseling Center or CARE and, when sufficient information is provided, following up on each complaint.
- The university will protect the privacy and confidentiality of individuals both reporting and individuals who are alleged to have harassed to the extent allowed by the law.
- The university has a legal obligation to investigate under the Harassment Prevention Policy and Harassment Resolution Procedures once aware of an alleged violation of the harassment policy.
- Remedies/sanctions for offenses are outlined in the Code of Student Life and in the Harassment Prevention Policy and Resolution Procedures.
The university affirms its desire to maintain a learning and living environment for all students that is free from all forms of harassment. The university is committed to ensuring that all students are treated with dignity and respect.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF HARASSMENT?
Unwelcome conduct based on
Race Color Religion Creed Sex National Origin Age Disability Veteran Status
Quid Pro Quo Harassmenta. Consists of unwelcome conduct when submission or rejection of conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condiction of an individual's employment, employment decisions, academic standing or receipt of a needed university service or benefit.
Hostile Environment Harassmenta. Conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual's work, academic performance or living environment; or
b. Such conduct has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive working, learning, or living environment.