Weight Wise Women
Weight Wise Women is an evidence-based, 16-week behavioral weight loss program that was originally developed by researchers at the UNC-CH through a CDC grant. OPI offered the program at two sites in the past and during 2010 expanded the program through a train-the-trainer model. Staff members from five community sites in New Hanover, Brunswick, Pender, and Duplin Counties were trained and are now continuing to offer the program at their locations. The program was designed specifically to serve low-income women. It has now been modified to also serve Hispanic and special needs populations. The expansion of this project was funded through a grant for $48,470.00 from Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation.
The 5 partners who are currently offering the program are listed below, along with the instructors’ contact information:
Brunswick County Parks & Recreation
- Contact: Ruthie McHugh, Fitness Coordinator for Brunswick County
- 910-253-2583 (ph); email@example.com
Duplin County Health Department
- Contact: Rhonda Ferrell, Health Promotion Coordinator for Duplin County Health Department
- 910-296-2130 (ph); firstname.lastname@example.org
UNCW’s “I Can Do It, You Can Do It!” Program
- Contact: Dr. Sue Combs, Coordinator, Physical Education
- 910.962.3262 Phone; email@example.com
- *This site has modified the program to serve children and adults with special needs.
- Contact: Irene Silva Edwards, Executive Director
- 910-762-1870 (ph); VocesLatinas@ec.rr.com
- *This site has modified the program to serve the Hispanic population.
Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church
- Contact: Sherma Svitzer, Lay Health Leader at Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church
- (910) 251-8772 (ph); ShermaSvitzer@aol.com