Bachelor of Science: Clinical Research
NEWS: CNN Money (external link) names Clinical Research the #4 best job in America.
The Bachelor of Science in Clinical Research offers students the opportunity to gain specialized education, training, and experience in the exciting field of clinical research. Clinical research is the process by which new therapies (medications, biological agents, and devices) are tested in clinical studies prior to approval and marketing. Clinical research also includes the study of products after approval, once they are on the market, particularly for rare or unexpected adverse events. Students in the Clinical Research Program gain a broad-based understanding of the science, regulatory, and business aspects of developing new therapies to treat illness and improve quality of life.
We are often asked, “Is this a Nursing degree?” While the Clinical Research Program sits in the School of Nursing and has similar pre-requisites, it is not a Nursing degree. The undergraduate UNCW Clinical Research degrees is awarded as Bachelor of Science in Clinical Research with no mention of Nursing. The degree is mostly online; local residence is not required. Please contact us to learn more.
Prospective Student Resources:
- What is Clinical Research? (external link)
- Application: The Fall 2015 application has been reopened, and will remain open until Wednesday, May 20th. Applicants with pending UNCW admissions must complete the Interview portion of the application by June 15.
- Program of Study (PDF)
- CLR Advising Calendar
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Transfer Credit for CLR Prerequisites (PDF)
- NC Community College Transfer Equivalents (PDF)
- Past, Present, and Future of Clinical Research in North Carolina - 4/8/15 (video)
- What can I do with a CLR degree? (external link)
- How can I get started in the Clinical Research Field? (external link)
- Drug Discovery and Development Process (external link)
- Student Learning Outcomes (PDF)
Current Student Resources:
- Student Association of Clinical Research: SeaOrg, Website
- Orientation for Online Students
- NC Coast CLR Initiative: Industry Information (external link)
- Prof. Org.: DIA (external link)
- Association of CLR Professionals (external link)
- Information about the MS Degree in Clinical Research
The School of Nursing (SON) offers many scholarships to SON students. All prospective and accepted SON students are encouraged to fill out their FAFSA and the UNCW Scholarship Application in mySeaport to be eligible to receive an award from the university or SON.
Other scholarship opportunities outside of UNCW (external links):